Jandy Aquapure 1400 (rectangular style) 120 and 121 codes

Apr 15, 2012
I have an Aquapure 1400. 6 yrs old.
Receiving 120 and 121 codes for past 3 weeks.

I have cleaned the generator there was scale at ends of plates and was removed due to cleaning. (water muratic acid mix)
The internals of the Generator are free of scale and on the surface appear to in working order.
I have cleaned the sensors. OOO steel wool (2 of the sensors were covered with a golden residue and were cleaned easily)
I have cleaned the connector pins on the generator.
I am reading voltages at the generator DC cord to pin connection of 36volts. should be 21- 22 volts.
The DC plug to the Generator has no indications of deterioration and is in working order.

I have not opened the Controls to perfom voltage readings per Jandy's troubleshooting guide.

Suggest away.
Thanks Todd

Re: Jandy Aquapure 1400 (rectangular style) 120 and 121 code

Hey Todd, welcome to TFP!

A 121 error can occur for a number of different reasons: dirty cell, damaged cell, bad cell cable, low salt level, cell wearing out due to age, or damaged power supply.

I have a couple thoughts...
1) First, I would follow Jandy's troubleshooting guide and perform voltage readings
2) Keep in mind most cells are recommended to be replaced every 3-5 years (so getting 6 out of yours is pretty darn good)
3) If you have the older rectangular cell, I believe it is a 2-port cell (see picture). When you update, you would be switching to a 3-port cell. This means you will need to buy one of the 3-port kits (which is close to the same price as a brand new system). If this is the case, you might as well replace everything. If you already have a 3-port system, just replacing the cell will be fine.

The 2-port system will have the flow sensor plumbed off on the side of the regular plumbing.
The new 3-port cell with have the flow sensor directly into the cell.

Attachments

• chlorinators-jandy-aquapure-cell-update.jpg
    chlorinators-jandy-aquapure-cell-update.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 130

Sounds good! Let us know what unit you decide on and how the install goes. And if you need any help, you know where to find us :cheers:

I am getting code 121 as well. We had a 2 port cell and it was replaced under warranty with the 3 port cell only 2 years ago. Couple questions..... I cleaned the cell even after it wasn't real dirty and I am still getting the 121. I don't have a meter to check to the voltage but will try to borrow one from the neighbor and do this. Is there a way to clean the cell cable (the one that connects to the 3 pins on the outside of the cell)? Also, would I be better off calling the company that did my warranty work here in Las Vegas? I'm not sure but maybe the warranty starts over again with the cell replacement? Let me also add that I only get this code about half the time and the cell seems to be making chlorine as I am not running low. Salt level is 3200 and FC maintains 2.5 on a daily basis.

Hey Tom,
If you can test the voltage (with a borrowed voltage meter), that would be the best place to start. As for the warranty, I doubt it starts over again unless you purchased a new warranty from them...but it might be worth a phone call anyways!

Hello and thanks to all for the input.
Just installed new 3 port Jandy 1400 cell.

The plumbing was easy but a bit tight with exisiting configuration, good thing I have a bit of mechanical appitude, spatial relations, and know how to tape measure. : )'
My pool installers 6 yrs agao decided to install another coupling right next to the generator coupling instead of a simple threaded connector to the multiport valve 2" sched 40 piece to coupling for generator. I proabably paid for that extra Praher connector on my install. Caveat Emptor!

Why didn't Jandy maintain the sizeof the couplings from the old style generator to the new style. I am a bit bewildered about theri thinking.
Coming from a Toyota Production System background, Taichii Ohno would say, Don't trouble your customer.
Which Jandy Did!
I will give feedback to Jandy's R&D group.

Now I am waiting for the chlorine production to pick back up.

Take care all and thanks again.
Todd McCann

Todd,
Glad to hear you got your new cell installed! :goodjob:
I have no idea why the coupling size changed! :hammer:

Same issues here on the 1400. Replaced the cell with a new 3 port, replace the DC cord, and replace the flow sensor. Started receiving 121 and 120 service codes. Had a tech come out and was told that it was most likely a defective new sensor. If not the sensor, then the cell was defective. Exchanged and replaced the cell. No change. The company I purchased the sensor from will not do an straight up exchange. They want me to ship the sensor so they can test it. How is it that they can test it and a local pool tech can't or won't? Also, tech never tested the board. Was he just being lazy

Thanks,
Robert

I am receiving the same error codes on our Jandy Salt System (121). My chlorine actually shut down and the pool started to turn green. Until I could get a chance to take a look at the system, I started treating the pool with liquid chlorine. I pulled the salt cell (square) and it is clean as a whistle....however, I still cleaned it with 50/50 muriatic acid water mix. I put it back together and it worked for one day and then back to "General Fault" error code 121 on the AquaPure. Last night we fired up the spa for about an hour or so and never once received the error code. It seems as if the hot water may have fixed the error code or something. My system is 7 years old and I have only had to replace the sweep/cleaner & main pool pump and a few salinity sensors. Would the salinity sensor cause the 121 error code? Should I take the salinity sensor out and clean it with a scotchbrite pad? I am dreading the replacement of the system because that would mean re-plumbing the system. The new salt cell is much shorter/smaller than the old one. I am not really sure how to re-plumb it with the threaded PVC coupling connectors? Please Help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Make sure you read blakej's first response in this thread as he lists the problems that there could be with a 121 error code. To determine what is wrong for sure you need to trouble shoot the system by taking voltages at different test points.

My guess is that the cell has worn out, 7 years is a long time for a cell, and you will need to change over to the new cell or install some other company SWG unit.

If you haven't worked with PVC then you might need to have someone install it for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.