Expansion Joints in concrete around pool?

I would gladly like to have suggestions on what type of expansion joints everyone is using around pools. Ours is in the process! They dug hole on Tuesday and set in yesterday! We are putting in a San Juan pool here in Oklahoma. 19 x 35 Diving pool.
And any information you care to share would be great!
Thanks!
Summersgal

Hi, Summersgal,

Not sure exactly what you're asking. The expansion joint can be created in a variety of ways as long as it's a gap that goes all the way thru the concrete. It is usually filled (on top) with polyurethane caulk for waterproofing and appearance.

I have a feeling you already know that and are asking something else. Could you clarify?

Hi Dave
Thanks for your reply! :) I guess I didn't make my self clear...thats usual for me!
I'm wanting to know what is the best thing to use to make the expansion joints. On our old pool from our previous house we used cedar and it bowed up. So my Hubby said to ask and see what people use and what luck they have had with what they are using and to try to find out what is avaiable out there. Hope this is a better way of trying to explain myself.

You definitely do not want to do redwood strips around a pool. Typically with pool expansion joints a foam insert is installed that has a perforated section about an inch from the top. After the decking is poured, the upper section of the foam is pulled off at the perforations and the remaining joint is sealed with mastic. While the mastic is still wet some granules are sprinkled on it to give it a texture and provide more durability to foot traffic. It also helps it to blend in to the decking a little better. I'm not sure what the industry standard is on pool deck joints, but in sidewalk paving it's normally 5' o.c. for control joints and 20' o.c. for expansion joints.

Also, if any of the pool decking is adjacent to existing paving be sure to dowel it in.

Summersgal said:
TresW
Thanks for the reply Do you have or know the name of the foam inserts that you are talking about and where you got them? Or where we might be able to get them?

Thanks!

Ours was installed by our PB, but it is the same stuff as this:

http://www.reflectixinc.com/diy/default ... eIndex=546

You might call those guys and see if they have a rep that is local to you. I'm sure there are other manufacturers as well. Good luck!

Thanks again! The company that did our pool do not do the concrete work and se we are planning on doing all the forming of the job and then have someone come in and do the finishing of the concrete. We just finished our house last year which we built almost the entire house. But the pool area is different and just trying to make sure we have ideas before we start and find out what the latest things are that are out there. Pool finished filling yesterday and nasty!

Another question..Tips on keeping the concrete off the side of pool while pouring the concrete?

Thanks gain everyone for all the tips and info!
I love this site..lots of information and help! :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.