Pentair IntelliBrite housing cracked

Brown dust or dirt in pool

Hello to all,

I have been trying for several weeks to get rid of the brown dust or dirt as I am unsure which it is. I have tried cleaning on waste but it just comes back. Could this be coming from one the pipes not being glued? As last month I fixed one of the pipes on the suction side of the filter which was not glued by the pool contractor.

Thanks,

Eddie

Re: Brown dust or dirt in pool

It could be a start of a algae bloom which would be very slow this time of the year but can still happen. I would do an over night chlorine test to see how much you lose and go from there just to make sure.

Agree with kenmccall. Let's make sure it isn't an algae bloom first. Can you gives us some test results? Looking for FC, CC, CYA, and pH for now.

How do you add chlorine to your pool? How often do you check the chlorine level? Also, your CYA level is low and does not give you much protection against loss of chlorine. Should try and get it up closer to 40 ppm.

When you say "it comes back", do you mean that you see it coming thru your return jets into the pool, or just that it's visible again the next day? In addition to making sure it's not algae, it may be normal sediment that's falling in from above - the same stuff that you see on your car when it's parked outdoors. It's not likely a broken or unglued pipe, as you would be seeing significant water loss with that. In the fall, as wind conditions change, dry periods, and if there's new construction near your home, this normal sediment can be a pain. Ideally, your automatic pool cleaner should be picking most of it up.

What test kit do you have? It's unusual to have a value such as 11 on a CYA test.

Unless you are losing FC overnight, this is probably blown in dust. If this was due to a faulty seal on a pipe, you would be losing water and not pulling dirt into the system.

If you are keeping your pool open and you are still managing to generate FC with your SWCG, you should ensure the accuracy of the CYA reading and raise your CYA to a level suitable for SWCG pools. This is between 60 and 80 ppm on the CYA.

I have been losing water for quite some time and my pool guy could not find it. so last week he finally did the die test and found that the light housing was cracked. He said that I was the 4th pool that this has happened with. He also said that pentair would ship him some epoxy but that he would not use it. As the epoxy would require him to drain the pool all the way down below the light niche and that Pentair would not pay for the replacement of the water or his labor. So his fix is to use an underwater epoxy as a sealer but he nor Pentair will guarantee this will fix the leak. Pentair will not warranty this product or even stnad bye the fact that this is happening all over the nation. Pentair is completely aware of the problem so much so that they changed the mold in the manufacturing process as soon they discovered the problem.
I am in need of some help on all aspects of dealing with this issue. I do think that my only option is to cut the concrete and dig down to replace the entire assembly.
Let's hear some opinions becuase I need them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am having the same issue with a cracked light niche from Pentair Intellibrite pool light. I have been fighting cracks in the niche for over a year with divers and repairs with no success. I think the only option is to dig out the back area under the concrete to get to the housing and replace the niche. I have a fiberglass pool that is 5 years old. Has anyone had to take this step? Has anyone got any help from Pentair on this ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.