Solar Panel Question

Apr 2, 2012
Latrobe, Pa
I am looking to purchase a solar panel for my 14x42 intex pool. Would i be better off using my 1600 gallon sand filter with a diverter valve or using my smaller 1000 gph pump with seperate lines. Im leaning towards the smaller pump which i would believe would allow the water to reach a greater temp before being pumped back into the pool as apposed to using the sand filter with the diverter half open which i think would allow the heated water to mix with the cooler water prior to being introduced back into the pool and cooling it down.

For best efficiency you actually want as much water flow through the panels as possible and allowed by the panels. Letting the water reach higher temperatures in the panels actually lowers efficiency since you aren't taking all the heat you possibly could out of the panel.

That said, the difference between the pumps isn't that large and there are some advantages to using a separate pump for solar, though it does mean extra hoses and a little more complexity.

That is an intex 1000 gph pump? I am not sure you would get the 16 gpm Jason mentioned, those pumps are overspeced IMO. You will still want the filter in there so the crud doesn't get to the panels, but you will have to keep it really clean. Worth a try though, unless you are putting them at a raised elevation (on roof), then that intex pump (the 1000 gph) will not do it. The panels should feel cool when operating with enough flow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.