foam insulation under liner...where and what kind?

May 19, 2008
gulf coast of Texas
I've seen some buy and use some sort of foam or styrofoam insulation to use as padding under the liner. I THOUGHT I read someone bought a pink kind. Don't quote me on that. Where do you buy it at? Or whats the name of it? Is this cheaper than a gorilla pad? Was thinking about getting some today while we're out and about so we have it on hand when we put up the walls and liner.

No matter how good you do a sand bottom it will compress a bit under the weight of the water and you'll get some degree of divots or unevenness, matters how big of a deal you think that is.
I have Gorilla Pad, it's not for padding the bottom so its more comfortable, it's for preventing roots, rocks, etc from poking a hole in your liner, the material is very thin and has no foot padding value at all.

cramar said:
No matter how good you do a sand bottom it will compress a bit under the weight of the water and you'll get some degree of divots or unevenness, matters how big of a deal you think that is.
I have Gorilla Pad, it's not for padding the bottom so its more comfortable, it's for preventing roots, rocks, etc from poking a hole in your liner, the material is very thin and has no foot padding value at all.

Does the gorilla pad help prevent divots or uneveness? I am pulling my liner back and redoing the bottom completely because of settling. New sand the whole works. I have the gorilla pad installed now and i am curious if I should reinstall when my pool guy redoes the floor. At first he was just going to pull the liner down and do 1/2 at a time but after seeing it he wants to pull the liner out, soak it in big container full of water and try to reuse it. Its only 2 years old so he thinks he has better than a 50% chance of reusing the liner. Im doubting it, and have a liner lined up and ready to ship out just in case.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, my post can be moved if necessary.

It's not even 1/8" thick, there's no padding value at all to it and it won't even out divots, its solely for protection against liner rip/tear and that's it. If anything the fabric will likely have some slight rippling to it when you put the liner over it and it may show thru after the water compresses it.
It's a strong fabric, but it's not padding.

cramar said:
It's not even 1/8" thick, there's no padding value at all to it and it won't even out divots, its solely for protection against liner rip/tear and that's it. If anything the fabric will likely have some slight rippling to it when you put the liner over it and it may show thru after the water compresses it.
It's a strong fabric, but it's not padding.

You are correct - we installed a new pool last year, and because of the ground, being grassy and weedy prior, we installed it for the simple fact of protecting the liner. They say it is cut to size, wrong, my installer actually placed the pad down prior to the wall rail and once the pool was up cut it to size. This also allowed them to pull it tight during the initial fill to remove some of the rippling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.