TA while treating algae

OK after almost 2 years of trouble free pool, thanks to BBB, I am now fighting some algae (my liquid chlorine supplier has gotten me without product for more than two weeks now).
I am currently shocking my pool at 26 FC and have been running my pump for almost 48 hours. Pool finally turned from green to blueish and it's starting to clear up. My TA level is 20 (took the reading before starting the shock process) . Should I add baking soda now or wait until the process is finished and my chlorine level is back to normal?
By the way, for as much as I wanted to avoid using nothing but chlorine, I had to use cal-hypo 65% for the shock, my supply of chlorine is not yet ready to be delivered.
P_

Yes, with TA that low you should raise it. I suggest raising TA to say 60 for now, and waiting to do any further increase until you are doing fighting algae. With TA down around 20, the PH will swing around far too wildly with every chlorine addition, most likely going out of range with the attendant risks. Raising TA now will help minimize and/or prevent that.

Thanks Jason, I just raised the TA to 60 and now after 3 days of continuous pump my pool is almost clear. TA is in check , PH as well, FC is obviously still high at about 25. What would be a safe FC value for letting the kids jump back into the pool? Tomorrow morning they ll see the pool sparkling blue and it will be difficult to convince them they cannot!!!
P_

pakalrtb said:
TA is in check , PH as well, FC is obviously still high at about 25. What would be a safe FC value for letting the kids jump back into the pool? Tomorrow morning they ll see the pool sparkling blue and it will be difficult to convince them they cannot!!!
P_
If the FC is below normal shock level for your CYA, CC is .5 or less and the water is clear, it's okay to swim.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.