Waaay NW MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
We love Morel mushrooms. Its mushroom season here and we hit the jackpot the last few days. Morels come in gold/yellow, browsn, greys and black with subtle variations of each. We usually find a good number of golds and yellows but it is very dry this year. The blacks are our favorites and usually like finding a needle in the haystack in our area, last year we found 4 blacks (they have a nutty flavor - mmmm.) We fry them in olive oil and they are wonderful! We can sell them for $30 a pound at the Asian Markets.

We ate a bunch before I took pictures but this is just YESTERDAY'S haul -

49.jpg

Most of those we find are half this size, but this year was a bonus year! (BTW, my son should NOT have taken the root, we usually leave that in the ground to spread)

50.jpg

Trick or Treat!!!!...........................EEEEEEWWWWWWWW GROSS!!! :shock: :shock:

After all the warnings from your mother not to eat mushrooms in the wild, how ever did you find that these are OK?? Or did you plant them?

I love mushrooms, but those sorta look like weird squid!! :mrgreen:

They are like a religion in Indiana, but the season was messed up this year because of the cold snap in April. I only got one good mess of yellow ones.

Morels are the Minnesota State mushroom. I learned all about them when my son was in the 6th grade and he had to do a report on them for science. There really isn't anything else out there that looks even close (not even false Morels once you have seen a real one) Real morels are hollow from top to bottom.

Shroomers up here are obsessed with them too - people guard their spots like treasure and take the locations to their graves rather than give em up! If you like mushrooms, there isn't anything like these with the nutty flavor - they are not strong like Shitakes. My teenagers HATE mushrooms but love these - go figure. I think the thrill of the "hunt" makes them more attractive. Last year we got probably 10# of the gold and browns.

Those look great. I can almost taste them dipped in flour, Salt & Pepper then fried in butter.

THAT is the way to eat them.

When I was young they were so plentiful but after Dutch elm disease
Killed off all the elm trees they became more difficult to find.

Enjoy some for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.