Charlotte NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Monarch ESC36 / ESC8000
Just finished my first TF-100 test. Numbers....
FC 12
CC .5
TA 110
CA 225
CYA 50
PH 7.2
My question is, can I trust the PH as the FC is high (above 5ppm)? Used both the TF-100 and Aquachek Strip. Want to start my shock process ASAP.
Oh yeah, water is dull, light green.
Thanks in advance for all the help!!!
Samiguy

Your FC is going to be accurate with the TF-100 kit. The higher up in FC you go the less accurate the PH will be. Dave will chime in soon. Strips not so accurate to me.

It was my experience last year that when my fc was abnormally high my ph reading was also on the high side but keep in mind every pool is different
The last 2 years I have struggled keeping my pool clear due to use of those stupid chlorine pucks but no more!
This year I am going BBB unless I go salt
So on at least my pool it seemed that the higher the chlorine level the higher the ph reading was
This year I have a Taylor 2006c test kit, I would have purchased the tfp kit but I used my amazon rewards points so freebee :)

Pretty sure the high FC makes the the pH read higher than reality. Since you are close to FC of 10, the pH may just be off a little bit. It is a little low either way, but the SWG (if you leave it on for the shocking process) will help to pull the pH up, so I think you should be able to get started with the process.

Start your shock process. Your pH might read just a little high right now but not enough to worry about. You can bring it up (if need be) once your pool is sparkling clear and the process is complete.

Re: First REAL Test...Here We Go!!!--UPDATE

WOW!!
Started today on my shock process. Started at...
FC 9
CC 0
Hit it with pool calc amount of 6% bleach with pump running...
2 hour test....
FC 22
CC 0
Water changing from dull, light green to milky white/light green with some clearing already. Pressure from 7 psi to 12 in two hours. Changed to a clean filter (I keep three ready). Put the TigerShark in to brush some for me.
Also, thought I would pull the ladder out to inspect and check for algae.. Found a ton of algae on the underside of the steps...clean that and leaving the ladder out while shocking/brushing.
Looks like I have gained more in two hours than I was able to do in 3 weeks!! TF-100 gave me REAL numbers and doing exactly what you guys told me to do.
If I'm missing anything, please let me know. Think I'll go have a cigar and some Kool-Aid while I wait for my next 2 hour test.
Progress!!!!! Will update after next test.............

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update...
FC 22
CC 1
CC starting to rise. Still moving toward white vs green. Good stuff !
That cool aid in "un-leaded"...I have to be somewhere on July 4th!!
Going to dig up some pic's tonight...just took another to compare and will post all when I'll clear and clean.
The pool is starting to be fun again!!!

Update..again...
Sun is down now..so is my day..
FC 20.5
CC 1
Pressure from 7 to 12 so another change of filter. Seems to be getting clearer..will see after a night "cook" and retest early AM. Anxious to see what the filter gets tonight and if the green all goes away.. Like I said, this is fun again!!!
Thanks for all the help and will keep you pros posted!!!

Update...and a litte help please!!
Early morning numbers
FC17.5
CC 1.5
Added bleach as directed to bring to 20

This afternoon numbers
FC 19
CC .5

Now here's the "rub"..... After reading lots of info here on the site, I retested my CYA this afternoon VERY carefully. Used the same solution to read several times and it seems as if my CYA reading was off a bit. I read my first test as 50 when it really looks like it is more like 30+. I trust the 30+ as I am getting more familar with the test kit and understanding the way to read, etc.
Now it would appear to me that my "real" shock targert is now 12 rather than the 20 I had originally thought. As I have kept the FC well above the now realized FC shock target of 12, what would you guys suggest I do? Let it drift down to 12+ or keep it at 20? Not a big issue on the bleach is it is taking a very little bit to keep it up. But like anything, I don't want to cause more problems/issue with "over-shocking". HELP!!!!

The water is a little less green today and can see a bit deeper. Wife calls the water a "creamy blue" and I call it a light "blue green"

Got the TigerShark running again and a clean filter in again (pressure went) from 7 to 12 psi overnight.

Again, I sincerely appreciate all the help and the results are starting to appear!! Yep, it is fun still !!!!!

I would let the FC come on down to around 12ppm. There is some "cushion" in the guidelines that have been developed but I think you are fine because you didn't have it high enough long enough.

Use 12ppm as your guideline from here on out. You're making progress!!

Update..again..( this is a great diary!!)
FC 12.5
CC 1
Can see the shallow end a bit (3 feet). Water still cloudy. Going to try OCLT just for fun and see what happens. Put in my "cleanest/newest" cartridge....3-4 psi. Weather forecast is for good chance of rain/storms in the next few days...could use about 1"+ for water level. I seem to be on target unless you pros can see something I'm missing. Again, thanks for all the help and encouragement!! (PS..Dave..got the instructions....THANKS!!!)

Didn't pass my first "trial" OCLT....
FC 11.5
CC 1
Did have a bit of a pump issue overnight. Filter pressure was 0 psi this morning. Pump strainer had a bit of trash (stems from whirly-bird maple tree seeds), but this is not unusual. Reached into the impeller and found a good amount wound around the impeller. Dug that out and washed out with hose. Pressure back up to 5 psi and water moving much better. Guess I missed on lots of filter time overnight. Still clearning (slowly) and more blue today. TigerShark running again and just keeping at (or a little above) shock level. Going to go ahead and bring the salt up a bit and be as patient as I can. This is SO much better than the h*** I went thru last year! The TF-100 is like a pilot having instruments durning a thunderstorm....you just can't keep above the thing without good readings.
I did find a good thing about the pool stores...they provided me with a wonderul little bottle to collect my sample with squirt nozzle! Figured I only paid about $2000 for the darn thing over the past few years. Really feeling good about me controlling the pool now rather than wishing I had never put it in. Like I said earlier, this is fun again!!
Will be leaning on you guys when it's time to balance after this shock process. Thanks in advance!!!!

Hmmmm. 5 psi is too low. If your gauge is working correctly, I think you have some type of restriction on the suction side. I know this is off the subject a little but most pools run around 10-20 psi as normal and 5 psi probably isn't pushing enough water through your system.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.