False CC Reading? & Flakes on Water Surface?

ED-209

Apr 2, 2012
Florida Panhandle
Greetings programs,

Well I figure I've moved to the next level and can start another post since I am an official TFP'er or I think I am LOL

So things are goin great via FC and pH levels, just adding about 90 or so oz every other day to keep FC in 5 to 9 range with last CYA reading (past Sunday) of 60 and pH has stayed at 7.5.

So tonight during regular FC and pH testing I think I had a false CC reading but just wanted to make sure my interpretation was correct. As I was adding my drops of R-0871 I got to drop 16 and I thought it was clear so I put my 5 drops of R-0003 and got a very slight hint of pink after the 5th drop so thinking I might have misread the Colorado change at 16 drops I decided to try to re-test and this time it took 17 drops and I did an extra one to be safe. Then when I added the 5 drops of R-0003 no color change at all.

So am I safe assuming I didn't add enough drops on the 1st test and was it ok adding the extra 18th drop on the re-test? I only counted 17 for my reading though.

My last question is I started noticing on the surface of the water that there seem to be flake-like materials all on the surface. It's hard to describe as I tried to catch some of it but there's really no consistency to them. The best way I can describe them are they seem like clear fish food flakes but not as thick, sorry that's the best I can think of. I tried to take a pic but being nighttime very hard to get detailed but will post....hopefully below and thanks for any help\guidance:

ad14b0a3-b152-1983.jpg

ad14b0a3-b165-d473.jpg

Re: False CC Reading? & Flakes on Water Surface?

If I read your post correctly, your CC's difference in the two tests was inconsequential. Treat a result of .5ppm CC's just the same as 0 CC's

It does sound like you did the FC test correctly the second time. To be VERY accurate, you want to count the drops until the LAST drop produces absolutely NO color change......then subtract that drop from the total.

I can't remember your last thread but you seem to have your pool under good control....Nice work! :lol:

I would also disregard the flakes. Could be something falling in from outside the pool. You do not have an SWG, correct? You will almost surely find that your good levels of chlorine and/or filtering will take care of it.

duraleigh said:
If I read your post correctly, your CC's difference in the two tests was inconsequential. Treat a result of .5ppm CC's just the same as 0 CC's

It does sound like you did the FC test correctly the second time. To be VERY accurate, you want to count the drops until the LAST drop produces absolutely NO color change......then subtract that drop from the total.
That's great and I am glad this happened as I was thinking a .5ppm CC would mean I need to shock.

duraleigh said:
I can't remember your last thread but you seem to have your pool under good control....Nice work! :lol:
Thanks so much, I run my VV filter about 17 hours (4.5 on 2100 and 12.5 on 950) a day which gives me over 2 full turns. I've gone crazy now making my own book to log everything and created spreadsheets of adjusting chemical levels in case I can't get on the computer to use the pool calculator. I've only had one other thread, so far, in the Beginner's section, when I had a CYA level of 160...but thanks to everyone's help I was able to get it back down and learn the BBB method.

duraleigh said:
I would also disregard the flakes. Could be something falling in from outside the pool. You do not have an SWG, correct? You will almost surely find that your good levels of chlorine and/or filtering will take care of it.
Whew, was getting worried as I didn't know if this was a sign of some other thing and hopefully in a month I should have my screen pool cage installed over the pool, so that should help with the other types of debris (leaves, bugs, grass, etc.)

One last question, for now :), how long do the reagents in the TFT100 kits last if I am testing the FC and pH daily, the ALK and CH weekly and the CYA monthly? I just didn't know if it would be worth the while to invest in those larger sizes, say for the FC tests?

Thanks again for the help and love your TFTkits, makes me feel like I am all sciency.

Switch your CH test to monthly. It's pretty stable and once a month is good enough. You should have enough reagents for at least one full season. You will probably also find that as you learn the "rhythm" of your pool, you won't test quite so frequently but it's good you're doing it when you first start.

You will probably be ready for a reorder next Spring on some items.

Re: Re: False CC Reading? & Flakes on Water Surface?

duraleigh said:
Switch your CH test to monthly. It's pretty stable and once a month is good enough. You should have enough reagents for at least one full season. You will probably also find that as you learn the "rhythm" of your pool, you won't test quite so frequently but it's good you're doing it when you first start.

You will probably be ready for a reorder next Spring on some items.

Thanks so much for the help and info.

I figured this would be a hassle as it's always seemed that way with my pool care experience but now that I understand it, it's actually fun.

I know what you're saying about getting into the groove and it's nice to know that when I add the right amts of the right chemicals that I don't have to guess or be surprised when I test. Like I knew that I probably wouldn't need to test but nice to take 5 or so minutes to confirm the info.

I figured once I start on my next bottle of FC reagents that I'll see how long it lasted and then order some more accordingly.

Thanks again

I have those exact same flakes on my waters surface as well. I have an above ground pool and the skimmer develops a film of these little guys so that water can not pass. I have been manually skimming the skimmer for 2 days now.

Bizarre ! I'm getting these flakes and a film in my skimmer too.... in Portugal. Also having spurious CC levels's (going up during shocking) and before I started shocking, chloromine smell/stinging eyes despite FC and CYA being in range. The film in the skimmer is white. I was thinking pollen also as we are in high Spring with a heatwave (90F) and the pool is among wildflower fields.

My flake are no gone and still not positive what they were. I am not thinking it was a direct result form using a Claifier in the pool. I guess if it happens again I will know for sure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Perhaps the Palintest kit isn't as accurate as the Taylor one so maybe you need to assume that the CYA might be higher than you think and keep the FC higher as a result, after you shock to get rid of algae first.

Hi Richard. Thanks for your reply.
I suspect the Palintest cya test is a little off or I'm just reading it badly as I've had a lot of trouble getting consistent readings as I compared the readings to the Dichlor etc I have added and it never seems to match up. It's the same old dot-type test but I still find it very subjective exactly when the dot has gone, even if I stand in bright sunshine with my back to the sun shielding the tube.
I think it/me was reading too low as in my fight against the algae I just didn't seem to be making much progress until I went for a higher shock level than my testing would indicate I should. I'm on day 4 of the process and I've already added 8 gallons of 12% bleach !!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.