Changing Filter Sand

WorBry

Nov 19, 2011
Hi,

I'm about to change the sand in my filter (Hayward S210T Pro Series 21"). First time I've ever done it. The old sand is out now, so there's no going back.

The owners manual, and other guides I have read, stress the importance of covering the 'under-drain' stand-pipe and keeping the entire lateral assembly centered and firmly on the filter vessel base when adding the sand. An accessory 'sand shield' (SX202S) is provided with new filters to assist this.

From older manuals, it looks like the shield was originally in the form of a dish that fitted into neck of the filter vessel, with slots to let the sand through and a central cap to cover and center the stand-pipe. Don't what it was made of. I assume plastic.

With newer models, this appears to have been replaced by a fold-out piece of corrugated cardboard. From the illustrations, the original type does look more secure to me.

My filter is second hand and unfortunately the previous owner did not retain the 'sand shield' or can recall what type it was.

I did inquire at a local pool store. They said, just put some tape over stand-pipe (to keep sand out) and, if your not experienced at it (yeah, right), have one person hold the stand-pipe in place while another adds the sand.

I need to do this tomorrow and with no-one to assist. Does anyone have any tips, tricks or DIY alternatives for keeping the stand-pipe/lateral assembly in place? I'd hate to have to start all over again because it shifted or lifted up.

Cheers.

PS - I know it's best to partially fill with water before adding the sand so as to avoid damaging the laterals.

I was thinking of maybe cutting up a tupper-ware/zip-lock bowl, but could find nothing to hand that fits. Anyway, it's probably better to be able to peer in and see where you are up to. Like you say, once there is some weight of sand over the laterals, it should stay put. The pool store guy did actually tell me not to bother putting some water in first, as long as you are careful adding the sand. I dunno - it does seem a reasonable precaution to me, and would surely help getting sand inside the lateral base support.

So, yes, have everything to hand. I've got 4 x 50lb bags of sand as per the specs. Not sure how much it will take to cover the laterals - 1-1/2 bags ? I think I have some large gardening pots that would take that. Put it on a work-mate bench, chair or something right next to the filter. Maybe a torch to hand also. And put the dog inside......the house, that is.

I'll see how I get on. What, me, worry? :roll:

PS - One other thing that I did fortunately think about in advance, is that the new sand first has to be back-washed and rinsed to get rid of the fine silt. Right now the un-opened pool is riddled with pollen flowers and seeds from nearby maple and birch trees. Not really the type of stuff you'd want to dump inside the laterals on the first back-wash, and, with the pool getting murkier every day, the prospect of attempting to shock and clean-up first without engaging the filter bed (drain and re-cycle only) seemed remote. I'd read about these skimmer-socks and how good they are at retaining pollen, but none of the local pool stores stock them. Thanks to the TFP member who recommended using elasticated nylon-mesh paint strainers (1 gallon) as an alternative. :goodjob:

WorBry said:
Not sure how much it will take to cover the laterals - 1-1/2 bags ?
It doesn't take much to cover the laterals, they are right at the bottom. I would guess 1/2 a bag. I use a 1.5" black rubber hose cap to cover my vertical pipe opening to prevent sand from going down the pipe (which will happen if you don't cover it with something). Then as I fill with sand I check to make sure the pipe is centered. Early on in the adding of the sand I check that the vertical is still centered at the top of the filter and make any necessary adjustments being careful to not lift (I actually push down slightly) while centering. After ~1/3 of the sand is in a centered tube won't move anymore unless you push on it fairly hard.

WorBry said:
I'll see how I get on. What, me, worry?
You'll be fine, just take your time. Worst case, you have to take it back out and do it over...but I think that is unlikely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.