First Test of the year

I agree with jbliz...be careful with the colorq, it can be misleading especially on ch and cya (and occasionally on the other tests as well). ....but it is useful to have 0.01 ppm of resolution :mrgreen:

It is indicating that your TA is fairly high, do you have a way to confirm your numbers?

TK said:
I have a TF-100, I can double check the numbers shortly. The water temp may be colder now but I will give it a try.

Please post up a full comparison ... it would be great to have more info to see what the may compare favorably and what may be off.

Did two test per test kit: The tf-100 was having issues.

Color Q First Test Second Test
FCL 5.49 4.85
TCL 5.98 4.92
PH 7.8 7.7
TA 175 172
CH 295 278
CYA 41 42

TF-100
FC 10 19.5
CC .5 0
TC 10.5 19.5
TA 130 120
CH COULD NOT GET TO TURN BLUE AFTER 40 DROPS
CYA 50 50
ph 7.8 7.8 This is just a guess

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah your TF-100 results particularly for FC do seem erratic. How much chlorine have you put in your pool recently (and how big is your pool)? Did you add ample R-0870 powder, especially for the first sample? If you did not put in enough your test would read low.

I suggest reviewing the extended test kit directions for the FAS-DPD and see if that suggests anything to you:http://www.troublefreepool.com/extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html#p206393 Then redo the test.

The only other measurement that seems strange to me is CH. Why did you stop at 40 drops? Are you confident that your CH could not be that high. Mine is up in the 400 ppm range, so I am used to doing a lot of drops. Try the 10 ml sample approach in the extended test kit directions it will save your reagent:http://www.troublefreepool.com/extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html#p206396

Other than that, it looks like everything else i pretty workable. I would generally trust your tf results over the colorq.

We've had threads prior to this comparing both test kits. I've had a colorQ and TFT-100 from the beginning when my pool was built in 2010. My numbers are generally close to each other all the time. The CYA has always been very close in comparison which is one of the numbers people claim that there is a big discrepancy. I use my colorQ more often out of convenience. I've had no problem with my water for the past 1 1/2 years. Actually once I get the pool balanced, I just check PH and chlorine levels 80% of the time and periodically (weekly) check the other numbers. Not more than a handful of times have I had to add any other chemical throughout the year other than muriatic acid since I've got an SWG.

I don't know about the FC test with the ColorQ - it varied by over a half a point - .65 actually. So the resolution of this thing is much less than two decimal places. It's about +/- half a point in accuracy so the true resolution is at best the first decimal place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.