Should I Suspect The Spider Gasket?

joel0711

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2010
East Tennessee, 40 miles west of Knoxville Tn.
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hayward Sand Filter S244T.... this is the third season of operation.

With the pump off and the filter in the filtering position,I can hear a minute air leak at the filter. When I turn the handle to close or backwash or rinse with the power off I can hear and feel water siphoning back toward the pool. There is no water leaks at the filter. When I turn the pump back on I hear a sound like the filter is re-filling and the gauge is slow to pick up psi (it's holding fine at 14lbs after time to fill). Should I suspect a bad spider gasket in the filter and if so how difficult will it be to replace??
thanks to TFP I'm in charge of my pool now,not some one else passing through occasionally!

Doesn't sound like a spider gasket, or even a filter issue to me. Is your pump strainer basket full of water or does it drain when you shut the pump off?

strainer basket is full of water when running,no air at all in basket, when i turn pump off and move filter to close or backwash water starts siphoning and shortly i had air in pump basket. I just now noticed a minute amount of water at the connection of the top of the pump and the pipe going up to the filter when i tried turning pump off and moving lever to close and backwash. possibly the gasket for the pump and filter connection ?? I just re-checked it and running there is no water drops at all at the junction of pump and intake pipe to filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.