Buy a solar cover w/ round bubbles or diamond shape ones?

vtdubu

Apr 5, 2012
I am in the process of buying my first replacement solar cover for my ingound pool.

I have seen some solar covers that have an option with them to have either typical round bubbles or diamond shape ones.

Seemingly the difference between them is that the diamond shape design helps to minimize the space between the air pockets to provide the maximum amount of heat retention, while a traditional cover with round bubbles has more space between the cells, which does not provide the highest insulation value possible.

The diamond shape ones seem like they would possibly be the best choice for a solar cover, but I wanted to know what other people’s experience and knowledge is with them.

Has anyone had both types of solar covers with one that had round and diamond shape bubbles that they could tell me if they noticed any difference?

Thank You

Re: Buy a solar cover w/ round bubbles or diamond shape ones

Looks like you now have 3 topics basically about the same thing ... please keep them all together as there is no need to spread them out. I am sure a moderator will come along and combine them.

One thing I am aware of is that the diamond shaped bubbles seem to be thinner in the corners of the bubbles and that is where they fail ... possibly sooner than the round bubbles would. I think I saw an article about this somewhere???

Re: Buy a solar cover w/ round bubbles or diamond shape ones

From what I have read, the diamond shaped pattern is slightly more effective at insulating heat, BUT also wears our faster.

A solar cover will also help your pool temp by minimizing evaporation. The shape of the bubble will make no difference at all for this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.