What is the best type of solar cover for my inground pol?

vtdubu

Apr 5, 2012
I need to buy a new solar cover for my ingound pool and I want to know what type would be the best and of what thickness.

I have seen some solar blankets that have just a clear top and some that have a clear top layer and a silver aluminized bottom layer.

The ones with just the clear top seem to heat a pool the best, but I have read that they also retain the least heat at night.

The ones with the clear top layer and a silver aluminized bottom layer seem to potentially be the best of both worlds.

The clear top layer evidently maximizes the amount of sun's rays that penetrate to the greatest depths of your pool.

The silver aluminized bottom layer apparently reflects the absorbed heat back into the pool to retain more heat.

It would appear that a solid silver bottom layer would not allow heat in, but the ads imply that these particular ones do, but I am not sure whether it is because the silver is not completely solid, has areas of being clear, etc., etc.

At any rate, has anyone had a solar blanket of this type with a clear top layer and a silver type bottom that they can comment on?

Thank You Very Much

Re: What is the best type of solar cover for my inground pol

Given that solar covers wear pretty easily for the most part, depending on how much you use them, I always go with the cheapest option.
I've had 2 blue ones, they were ok at collecting some heat, did a good job keeping it in.
I now use a clear one. It works well to allow the sun to get to the pool water, and does a good job keeping it in at night as well.
But again, I'm looking for the cheapest cost on these things, becuase I only use it at the beginning and end of the season when I'm trying to keep the water temp higher.
During the summer I pull it off, I don't like swimming in 90+ water, although my wife does.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.