New sand filter

Apr 8, 2012
Seymour ct.
Hey guys I'm a newbie with a 15x48 intex AGP. The filter that came with the pool didnt last at all.
I bought a new intex 1600 sand filter saltwater combo. The intex company said it was the right size for my pool. I also cut out the inlet and outlet from 1 1/4 to 1 1/2. I was wondering if I made a good choice in pump size? Will it work with my pool?

That's what I thought! The intex guy told me that I'll would be burning electric with the 2650. I can't return it now, but it's seem to be a lot stronger then the crappy one that came with it. How would I know what's the turn over rate for it? Is it 1600 per hour?

My neighbor has this filter/pump (okay maybe I had something to do with it) on his 16' intex and it has worked well. It does not have the built in swg, and for others reading this thread in the future, I would not recommend getting the swg built in since it will probably need to be replaced before the pump/filter. Anyways, he runs using its timer for about 6-7 hours/day typically. He was able to clear a major algae outbreak with its help quite well/quickly. I have been surprisingly impressed with this filter/pump combo. Only time will tell if I am still impressed after year two.

I think I have a two year warranty on this combo. I hope that will last me for a year or two. I haven't run the swg yet. I'm getting the pool cleared up first. Is it ok to run it 24hrs? The book says 12hrs a day and the pool store said to run it 24hrs with the shock to clear it up. I don't want to burn up the pump.

the pool store said to run it 24hrs with the shock to clear it up.
It is never a good idea to attempt shocking a pool with an SWG.....it simply doesn't have the capability of bringing the FC up high enough quickly enough. As a result, you sorta' muddle along hoping your pool will clear.

Shock a pool with liquid chlorine. It's fast and clean and will save a lot of wear and tear on your SWG.

That's what I'm using the liquid chlorine. I have the swg shut off till I get the pool zone in. The filter/pump is only running now. When I add the salt then I will turn on the swg. I just didn't want to burn out the filter/pump while run it 24hrs.

My neighbors was run 24/7 while clearing their pool. I suppose that could reduce the theoretical life of the pump by the additional 12 hours each day during the shocking process, but that is about it. The pump running 12 hours or 24 will get just as warm so premature failure to overheating is a non issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.