Crack in filter casing, how to keep algae away?

Jun 11, 2007
NorCal
We developed a crack in our filter casing and will need to order a new one. In the meantime, since we can't run our pump, does anyone have suggestions on how to keep the pool from turning into a swamp? Should I just pour in bleach and brush to mix? Should I keep it at a shock level or a maitenance level while I wait for the new part?

Can you run on recirculate without the filter leaking? If you can't do that, I'd try to plumb in some PVC to bypass the filter so you can maintain circulation. It's not filtration that you need to control algae, it's the circulation so you can sanitize.

I don't think I have a recirculate option, but I'll have my husband check. With any luck, our pool store will have the parts we need in their warehouse and we'll be able to get this fixed before too much damage has been done to the water clarity.

The other approach, not nearly as good, is to get a small pump, like a pool cover pump or a sump pump, and use it to keep some circulation going. It won't be nearly as good as the regular pump but it is much better than nothing.

Waste, my husband's reaction to the crack was to apply an epoxy. I am really worried about the possibility of an explosion, so if it comes down to it, I'd prefer to deal with an algae-filled pool rather than take that risk. The filter is running at a pressure of around 25 psi. We just switched out the cartridge last night with a clean one, and the pressure is still that high, even with the leak. So we are going to have to figure out the cause of the increased pressure as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.