Anyone used Poolyard / Foothill Installers for a pool build?

werd98

Feb 7, 2012
San Jose, CA
Hi,

We're considering using Poolyard / Foothill Installers for a pool build here in San Jose - has anyone used them or heard good/bad things about them? I'm prepping my questions for the interview with him tomorrow morning. Thanks!

Re: Anyone used Poolyard / Foothill Installers for a pool bu

Just going to bump this and say that it is often difficult to get feedback for a specific builder in one community ... although maybe someone will see this. Good Luck.

If you have feedback based on your interview or experience with them, that would be nice to share if someone else in your area happens to come along as well.

We met with him yesterday morning, and he made a very good impression:
- He has been building pools for 38 years
- He "swings the hammer", drives the bobcat, and his team does a lot of the work -> he only subs out the electrical and concrete
- Also, he seemed to be very genuine.

Price was ok - I found some of the same Hayward pool equipment online for a lot less - 20-50% or so - but overall, here's a rough breakdown (is it gauche to post exact quotes?):
- 12k for equipment: 21x41' Doughboy Intrigue 52" vinyl pool, Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2HP dual-spd pump, 2 skimmers, etc.)
- 13k for install (install, excavation, sand-cement mix, full-recess)
So, 25k out the door.

It is nice to see the full breakdowns and if you have more details on equipment, you may be able to get further recommendations on them.

For example, does this include any water features, what are you using for a cleaning system? The reason I ask is that you may be able to get away with a smaller 2-speed ... although AG pumps seem to be quite different than IG pumps as far as flow for the HP.

Also what size is the filter? for cartridges you generally want to go BIG.

Here's the pool equipment ($12k):

21' X 41' INTRIGUE 52" POOL
21' x 41' BLUE 25 Mil Liner
Hayward C1750 Cartridge Filter
2 HP Dual Spd. MAX-RATED Super Pump II Hayward CLASSIC Thru-Wall Skimmer
Vinyl Liner Vacuum All Clear
45' x 1.5" Vacuum Hose w/ Swivel Cuff
Pole 8-15' Metal Cam All Clear
Power Clean Ultra In-Line Chlorinator
Hayward Navigator PRO Vinyl Model, Deep End (REBATE AVAILABLE) Deck Ladder/Stainless-Steel w/Mounting Bracket

... and the install ($13k):
POOL INSTALLATION: 21' x 41' Doughboy Intrigue 52" Steel Pool (Labor charges to install)
EXCAVATION: #863 Bobcat (80" minimum access required).
CONCRETE MIX: For Side Support Footings.
POOL BOTTOM: 8 tons of Olympia #1 Sand - Delivered to site.
SAND-CEMENT MIX: 18 tons of cement slurry backfill mix + Installation around outer 12" of pool cavity.
GRADING: Grade site around pool only.
PLUMBING: 2" PVC PKG. - Concrete equipment pad, PVC, Valves, Trenching from pool to equipment.
CHLORINATOR: Install Auto Chlorinator at Equipment. [We're thinking of not doing this, and going with Baquacil instead]
POOL SWEEP: Install dedicated vacuum line w/ 3-port valve & PVC for Automatic Cleaner connection at pool sidewall.
FULL RECESS PKG. (2) Trex coping boards over pool (choice of color), Trex inner facia, pour-in-place pier blocks, P.T. framing, Sub-Drain system with catch basin installed at skimmer with 4" poly pipe to discharge in desired area.

Please do you homework before you decide on Baquacil vs a chlorine pool. Have you read through Pool School and some of the threads in the Baquacil forum? Just be informed.

If you decide to not go Baquacil, then definitely do NOT get the in-line chlorinator that uses pucks (read about the FC/CYA relationship in Pool School). A SWG would be a better option (if your pool manufacturer does not forbid them under warranty).

I have read a recommendation of at least 15 sqft of cartridge filter per 1000 gallons. I estimate your pool at 23,000 gallons meaning you would want at least a 345 sqft filter ... this is double the size of what you have listed.

The super II is an IG pump and I definitely think it is more than you need and you should be able to get by with a 1HP 2-speed pump. Maybe the cost saving of the pump can be applied to a larger filter ... this seems like a common occurrence with an over sized-pump and under-sized filter.

Thanks for the tips! Our pool is actually an AG model pool that can and will be installed IG.
I'll read up a bit more on the Baquacil, but so far what I've seen seems to indicate it's much better, if you can keep the pink algae under control?

Thanks,
Peter

Just seems like we see more conversions from Baquacil to Chlorine after a few years of frustrations with cloudy water than the other way around. I have no experience with it, so do not know how the maintenance compares to chlorine.

Wow, the Baquacil forum is full of people converting away from it! Is it really that bad, with the Baquacil CDX and auto-dosing system? Really like the idea of non-chlorinated water ... maybe a SWG is the way to go, but our pool guy mentioned the AquaMatic Hydramatic cover warranty would be void?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.