Dispute with PB over Sprinklers

zman

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 3, 2008
Frisco, TX
Hi everybody,

We are progressing and about 2 weeks away from plaster.

I asked our PB today whether I can start running the sprinklers in the front yard. He said that the main electric lines were probably damaged during construction and this was not their responsibility. I recall the salesman telling me that any sprinkler reroutes they needed to do would be included. However (and I know this is my fault) the contract does not require them to do this.

Does the PB usually handle sprinkler reroutes? I would have definitely had someone handle this if the salesman hadn't given the impression it was going to be taken care of. I'm not sure how hard to push this issue since contractually I am on the short end of the stick. It's just the verbal word of the salesman at this point. :?

Our PB asked us if we wanted them to do the sprinkler repairs (at an additional cost) or whether we wanted to hire it out. We love our sprinkler guy, he installed the system 8 years ago and has done all the service on it since, so we opted to use our own guy (plus he was cheaper than the PB's quote).

I would assume that sprinkler repairs would not be included in the base price for a pool. Unfortunately if it's not in your contract you probably don't have much leverage to get them to do it.

The only reason we are questioning them is they told us they would set up a sprinkler zone to fill the pool. Again, not in the contract but we definitely discussed (my wife who has a much better memory confirmed). Oh well, I'm not gonna flip out over it but it bothers me when a salesman promises something and it isn't done. I have to accept responsibility for not making sure it was in writing.

Oh well....

It's worth talking to them about. Go meet with them, tell them what you recall the salesman telling you and see what they say. Our PB (Hobert) has a standard line item printed on their contract form about who is providing sprinkler repairs, so there's no question about it with them. One thing that concerned me with our job is they promised to repair our yard damage (ruts, etc.) and that did NOT make it into the contract! We ended up writing them a letter about it shortly afterwards (when we noticed it wasn't mentioned) and we also met with them, they agreed that it was part of the contract and they're supposed to be doing the final grading today.

We are having a pool built by Riverbend. They begin next week. From the start our sales guy put $ in the bid for sprinkler, fence and 2 weeks of brushing. We decided to let them do the sprinkler after we added some notes to the construction plan about re-using some copper risers and made sure it was in section XVI of their contract. I agree with TresW that if you write a letter or make a visit to the office that you may have a chance to get it taken care of. I look forward to seeing more pictures on your other thread here on TFP. I wish I had not dragged my feet and started in February like you did. Let us know what happens.

I talked to the salesman and super today. They agreed to split the cost of the sprinkler work which I think is fair. Just a miscommunication between salesman and us during the final stages of the contract.

Overall very happy with Riverbend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.