Can this pool cleaner be used.

Aug 6, 2008
Honolulu
Our next door neighbour has a 20,000 galllon plaster pool using a first generation Polaris Vac Sweep run off its own pump. Electricity rates here in Hawaii are 32 cents to 35 cents dependant on fuel adjustments.

The pool itself is kidney shaped and about 45 ft long but I have not measured it, the skimmer is in the shallow end (about 4 ft deep).

The separate pump driven Polaris Vac Sweep does not do a good job of cleaning up, not sure why. In my pool I use a suction based Pentair GW9500 run off the main pump, but my pool is only 10,000 gallons and the inlet is in the middle of a 32ft length pool, it does an excellent job.

The question then is, we know we have enough suction on his made pump at the skimmer to run the Pentair GW9500 but would the configuration of their pool design mean that this idea would not work?

If it did work it would save some on electricity costs, albeit not a lot.

I would try putting my GW9500 into his pool to test but they have black algae in parts and I fear introducing it into my pool, hence the question.

Yes your suction side sweep would work in your neighbors pool but he would need more hose and a suction control plate in his skimmer to control the amount of suction is drawing from the cleaner. The algae can be removed with an algacide and phosphate remover. Sounds like the polaris needs to be rebuilt

Just to straighten things out a bit. Algaecide is ok for keeping algae from growing but isn't very good at killing it once it's in full bloom. Besides, if you keep the FC at the level it should be algaecide is completely unnecessary and a waste of money. Now as for phosphates. Getting rid of phosphates is like cutting down a forest to prevent fires. It just doesn't make sense! There again, if you keep the sanitizer level where it should be you won't have any algae to kill. And while I'm here! Regular shocking is another completely unnecessary thing. You should only shock when something's wrong and that should only happen when something not normal happens (i.e. emergencys requiring you to be away, the swcg breaks while your gone, a piece of equipment breaks and replacement takes days.) My pool hasn't been shocked in 3 years.

Chlorine is all you need to keep a pool sanitized and algae free! Period!!! You do need other chemicals for proper balance, but phosphate removers and algaecides are not among them!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.