Damp spot next to new AG pool

Mar 4, 2008
Our new 18' round AG pool was installed on Monday, and last night while in the yard, I noticed a damp area of dirt underneath the return hose, against the pool. We just finished filling it yesterday, and are waiting for the electrical to be completed still, so the pump and filter haven't been turned on yet.

I initially panicked, then read something online about condensation and/or moisture from the base sand sometimes causing damp earth next to the pool... but I was wondering if it would be possible for it to be in just one spot if that were the case? One site said the condensation from the inner walls would run along the bottom track to the lowest point and exit there. I checked the water level this morning and it looked the same as last night, but of course there was no sun overnight ;). I'm in Va Beach, and yesterday was a lot warmer than the previous days.

Of course I'm at work right now or I could check easier, but does the return fitting just screwtwist onto the hose? Could a slightly loose screwtwist cause a minor leak, or would it definitely be a liner issue in that case?

I'm hoping not to have to call the installer back in - work's getting really busy and they probably wouldn't be too happy if I had to take another afternoon off :(.

Wendy, congrats on getting the pool installed! This is probably something minor :-D When you get home, can you try to trace the water back to where it's coming from? If you can find the source of the mystery water, we'll most likely be able to tell you how to fix it easily, or tell you if it's something the PB needs to address. Again, this is probably minor, we'll get you all set by the time the electrician finishes and the water is warm enough for you to go swimming :thumleft:

Thanks, everyone! Definitely feel better that it's most likely something minor. I went home at lunch and the damp ground looked like it was drying up. I'll check again after work and if it's still not dry, will try to trace it back.

Whew - ok. At least I'm sure it's not the liner. We finally got the electric all finished and plugged in the pump. The return fitting/hose clamp thingie on the outside of the pool is dripping a little, which is causing the damp spot. Not a ton, about one drop every two seconds. (Last night it must've just been a much slower drip since the pump wasn't on, just regular wind-on-water wave action pushing water into the hose.)

Any opinions are welcome - is this something I should try to fix myself or just call the installer?

My first suggestion would be to tighten the clamp. There's always the chance that the fitting itself is not properly sealed and you are just seeing the water at the clamp, but we can address that if tightening the clamp doesn't work (tighten it without the pump on, the pressure from the pump will only hinder your getting the leak to stop).

Like I said, this is a minor issue - don't loose any sleep over it :sleep: :wink:

Thanks, Waste! I didn't get a chance to do that this morning before work, and I wanted to let the pump and filter run for a while before turning it back off since the water'd been sitting still for almost three full days. I will try the hose clamp tightening tonight after work, and if that doesn't work will be back begging for assistance ;).

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to alleviate this newbie's fears :).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.