joshs2000ss

Nov 10, 2010
South Central Kentucky
Here are my readings this evening after passing the overnight test last night:

FC - 7
CC - 0
pH - 7.3
TA - 80
CH - 0 (this is the one I'm questioning)
CYA - 35 (will recheck in the sunlight)
Salt - 3200

I'm a bit concerned with the CH reading. I can't believe that there is absolutely no calcium in the water. My test kit is less than a year old and was kept indoors in a cabinet, so I don't think my agents are bad. The R-0011L looks a bit thick though. Don't remember the thickness of it before however, so that may be normal.

Also a bit concerned with the salt. I got a test kit this year. I thought with the filling and the winter sit, I would have lowered the salt from the levels it sat at last season due to a faulty reading causing me to put in too much salt. I assume that will come down some with some time this summer.

Can I turn on my SWG with the Calcium at that level? I'm waiting until the FC drops to 5 first, but I can wait longer if I need to bring the CH up first. Just waiting to hear from you guys. I thought I would add enough to get to 50 ppm and test again to prove my results.

It is remotely possible, but not at all likely that your CH level is that low. But even if CH is that low, it isn't a problem. Since you don't have any plaster, you don't have to have CH in the water. The SWG will be fine. There is a small chance of low CH levels causing foaming. If you have problems with foaming, you have a good place to start looking.

I haven't noticed any foaming with the pump running 24/7 for the last week. I put in enough to raise the CH level 25 ppm, just to be on the safe side and not chance getting the level too high. I'll check it tomorrow and either raise it or order some more reagent. I'll take it to the pool store if I have to. I need to look for a new catch net anyway. (I'll still probably order online but I like to see what I'm ordering first) So, having a CH that low won't damage any of the equipment? (pumps, SWG cell, heater)

Can someone remind me what the ideal salt level is as well? I was thinking somewhere in the 2600 - 2800 range, but I can't remember.

I have almost zero CH in my pool and have since I put it up. It hasn't hurt anything yet. I say almost zero, because the test goes almost blue immediately after the R-0011L and one drop of R-0012 makes it deep blue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.