New pool and first time owner please help with bbb

rhumbaclave

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2011
Pool has been sitting for 1.5 weeks. I vacuumed like crazy after we had some serious wind storms but the water is really cloudy. Yesterday I added salt and that is all I have done. I do have a swg :) . Pump is now running on low for 24/7. I pulled out my test kit and tested but the only thing I can report is

pH 8.0
Salt is 3400 ppm

There is really nothing else reading anything? No clorine, free combined or total. Cya did not register either.

Should I just be patient and let my swg work or should I shock my cloudy water into submission? Or perhaps I am totally off base. We don't plan on kicking on the heater until our nights are above 48 at least so that gives me a month to figure this out.

Thanks so much.

Please bookmark The Pool Calculator (link in my sig line below) on your browser. You will need it to calculate dosages for chemicals in your pool.

Go ahead and turn your SWCG off. You need to shock your pool. Although some advocate for using the SWCG to do this, we have found that using your SWCG to shock can shorten the life of the cell. Besides, it is easier to just shock with manual dosed chemicals because you can get the FC up quickly.

So, do this...

1. lower pH to 7.2 using acid, either dry or muriatic acid.
2. Add some CYA to the pool. Just enough to bring it up to 30 ppm for now.
3. Using bleach, add enough bleach to raise your FC to 12 ppm. Keep it as close to 12 as possible throughout the time that you are shocking. You are done shocking when your FC holds to within 1 ppm or less loss overnight, your CC is 0.5 or less, and your water is clear. Keep running the pump until you are finished shocking.

Also, please read...pool-school/shocking_your_pool and pool-school/defeating_algae

First lower your pH to 7.4ish, circulate half an hour and then start the shock process.

Using the sock method, add enough CYA to get to about 30.

After you add the bleach (wait 30 minutes), you can test FC & CC.

What's your water temp?

ETA: Using your TF100, post a full set of test results :wink:

257 types faster :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.