Excessive pressure in filter after valve replacement

Apr 9, 2012
Last summer I replaced the fiber filters and pump head in my Pentair DE48 filter. It was allowing DE to seep backinto the pool so I have now replaced the filter valve. It is a 1/1/2 inch system. I also had my pump rebuilt last summer when it dry seized.

The issue I am now facing is an excessive build up of pressure 30 psi (pentair recommded psi is 12) in the filter during the filter mode. when reaching 30 psi; water flow is restricted. I have torn down the filter (again) and cleaned the fiber filters ( i call them the bat wings). This fixed the problem for about 8 hours. I tried back washing when the pressure reaches the 30 psi mark, however, nothing but clear water is expelled. It brings pressure down for about 30 mins or so. I have check to make sure the plumbing is routed correctly. I'm at my wits end. any suggestions on what to check? or do? Next???

Stumped in Texas!
:roll:
Drew

Is your pool water absolutely clear and clean? A DE filter can clog very quickly with the slightest of dirty water.

Did you clean the grids with detergent and then acid wash according to the manufacturers directions?

I did not read that you actually put fresh DE back in after cleaning ... forgetting to do that seems like the only way have a clear backwash. With no DE, the bat wings can clog very quickly.

Might be obvious, but wanted to confirm.

EDIT: And what is the pressure when you think the filter is clean?

Yes grids cleaned as specified. water is very dirty due to start up... I realize that is what is clogging the filter grids, however I cannot backwash the grids..all the water expelled is clear. the psi during backwash is around 30 psi. not sure if that is normal. I did recharge the gridw with DE after cleaning. am also using a skimmer basket sock to help with the filtering during start up. any other ideas?..suggestions? could the pump be putting out too much pressure?

Help this ole country boyout PLEASE :hammer:

What valve do you have on your filter? Can you post a picture of your equipment pad?

Does water actually come out of the backwash pipe? It almost sounds like the plumbing is wrong causing high pressure and clean water out the backwash.

Does your pressure gauge go to zero when the pump is off?
What is the "clean" pressure now (not last year)? You said you tore down the filter and that "fixed it" for about 8 hours, what was the pressure right after you put everything back together?

it was the pentair valve for the Pentair DE48 1 1/2". yes the pressure goes to zero when pump is off. The pressure was 12 psi after the disassembly and cleaning of the grids. I'll recheck plumbing when i get home in about 30 mins.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I'd be tempted to coat the grids as normal, run the filter a while, then open it up to verify there is still DE in there. Then backwash, watch the waste line, and open it again. At least you'll know where the process is breaking down.

I'd also quadruple check your plumbing. I have been attacked by evil plumbing elves before when I was plumbing a sprinkler pump :rant:

Bluecat80 said:
Also If vavle is set to "recirculate" bypassing filter the pressue is zero (which it should be) correct?

That is correct, pressure should also be 0 on Waste.

Do you have Clean/Rinse? That would run the water through the filter and out the backwash ... should also be clear water mostly.

ok.. I have backwashed over and over again... still experiencing the same high pressure. Checked plumbing again..its all correct. my pool is still a lovely green... so here is what I have deducted from all the advise...

I will crack open the filter housing again.

clean grids with power washer again.

recharge with 4 - 5 lbs of DE.

and see how that works.

I did discover while trying to vacuum tonight that somehow quite a few leaves had gotten in the water even though it was covered all winter. So until I get the pressure problem fixed, it is impossible to use the vacuum set up. Ill put the dolphin to work and see how it handles the mess. I'll post again tomorrow night after completing all of the above.

any other advise? filter treatment? etc?

one other thing i THOUGHT OF...

when i opened the filter Saturday.. there was quite a bit of DE on top of the power head... and the grids were muddy looking.
and I did not acid wash, but power washed them and the power head and all internal parts. check flow by opening valve to filter and water flowed into the housing from the power head downward and from the bottom with the backwash on.

UPDATE: The diagonisis was as follows. My ten year old pool safety cover had started to disenegrate and small parts of the fiber had clogged my grids over and ovber again. after the final cleaning of the grids and multiple back washes and filter rechargeing as well as strainer filter socks. the pressure has returned to normal. I called the manafacture of the safety cover and there response was wow it lasted ten years?

My thanks to all of you who contributed to helping me solve the "high pressure" mystery.

:rant: OK Folks...HELP!!!! everything has been running smoothly for a week or so..and now I have NO pressure in the filter. I heard the pump making a struggling sound and checked it... water is flowing and circulating. the pressure was at 12 psi and has gradually dropped to nothing. I have back washed..recharged the filter..tried snaking out the line between the pool and the pump... cracked open the filter to take a look (all look normal). Could my pump be going out again? just replaced it last summer :hammer:

any suggestions before I throw i the towel and buy another new pump???

The pool fool in Texas!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.