Baquacil in a closed pool?

Just curious, how long does Baquacil last in a closed pool. I've purchased a swamp that's been closed at least two years. Just this past weekend I found some paperwork and a test kit relating to baquacil in the garage. I'm not sure if it was used or not. What happens to the Baqua levels in a pool that's not maintained? I'm hoping it's gone by now, it's already going to take a load of bleach to shock this swamp without Baquacil adding to it.

I've maintained a baquacil pool for the last 5 years or so. I'll offer you this. Swap no matter what. Even if it takes more chlorine (doubt it will as our levels of all baquacil dropped a TON each winter let alone two years) you're much better off switching now as it sounds like you're planning on doing.

I'd guess there's still some baqua sanatizer that will show up and it wouldn't shock me if some low levels of algicide could show up as well. The algicide however is the same stuff wether its a chlorine pool or a baquacil pool, so no worries there.

There shouldn't be any measurable level of baqua sanitizer left in the water. However there will be related breakdown products in the water, which will require a conversion process when switching to chlorine. That process should go noticeably faster than it would if baqua had been used recently, but it still needs to be done before using chlorine (assuming that is what you want to do).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.