Leak Behind Pool Light

Mar 24, 2012
About 2 years ago I noticed the water level in my pool dropping faster than normal. I called a leak company and they determined it was behind the light. At the time, the guy who was fixing it said he could apply a “temporary fix” that could last a few months or even a year. Well, it lasted about 2 years and now the water level is dropping again. He said that when it started leaking again to call him and he would have to come back out, drain the pool below the light and apply a permanent fix. I was informed that it would cost about $300 for him to do this.

Question is, do you think he used an epoxy on the area that needed patched? If so, does the epoxy only last a few years? What more permanent fix option do you think he’s referring to?

Thanks!

I have found that the 2 part epoxy pool putty only lasts a couple of years (perhaps 3). Just be absolutely sure that the leak is in the same place. I have had small leaks show up in my concrete pool around the outlet pipes and around the skimmer area. A little red dye dropped into a perfectly calm pool (pumps off) may help find the leak if it is dripped right near the suspected leak location. The dye migrates to the leak area.

There must be some better products out there for this application but I don't know of anything that is really quick drying. I have used Marine Caulk before, but it takes several days to totally cure. With the light harness cable, kept totally immobile and the pool drained below the fixture opening, marine caulk would probably work. Any old material that was loose would have to come off and the cable insulation would need to be cleaned with a solvent to remove any residue. Keep in mind that marine caulk is one of the nastier materials to work with. My recommendation would be to call around and see what the pro's use for this. There may be a special potting material that can be used that will cure quickly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.