Newby owner: first question is about...skimming

Richmondtree

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 9, 2012
Richmond, Virginia
Topics merged. Please don't double post. It confuses people trying to reply. Bama

Hi this is my first post. I have read several articles about managing chemicals, and this site has been eye opening to say the least. :-D

I think I am getting a grip on keeping my water chemically happy, so overall things are going well. But I had to open up the pool early this spring to get it re-plastered, and now I am fighting quite a battle with spring tree debris. The skimmers seem to be doing a good job with larger items, but there is a great deal of very small lightweight floating stuff that just doesn't get pulled off the surface into the filter system. Is my system operating properly, Do I have things set up optimally? Does anybody know what I can do?

Thanks in advance.

Josh

Hi, my first post. I have read several of the pool school articles and I must say they were eye opening to say the least.

I am brand new to this, but thanks to the site contributors I think I am starting to get a handle on chemically managing the pool. I hope I am not premature to say that. :mrgreen:

Anyhow overall things are going pretty well, but I need some help on this. I had to open the pool early this spring to get it re plastered. I inherited this pool last summer and it was a cheaply painted disaster. The skimmers do a good job with leaves and other larger tree debris. But I have a large amount of very lightweight, small particles that don't seem to be getting sucked into the system. They just seem to perfectly cling the surface of the water. Is my system operating properly? Any other ideas? I'm afraid to call the pool store given past experiences.

Thanks,

Josh

Welcome to TFP.

Sometimes it can be tricky to get the eyeballs aimed just right so the skimmer operated efficiently. It took me a pretty good while to get mine aimed so most of the stuff goes toward the skimmer. I have to turn the eyeball as far toward the wall as I can and aim it up so it barely ripples the surface. Too much or too little and it doesn't work as well.

The weirs make a big difference in the surface movement too. Having it work correctly make a huge difference in how well it draws things in.

Tried to respond and then the topic was GONE ... found you again :mrgreen:

:wave: Welcome :wave:

Are you saying that leaves on the surface will be pulled into the skimmer, but smaller particles also on the surface do not get pulled into the skimmer? What is your water level in reference to the skimmer inlet?

What kind of control do you have for the skimmer suction? Do you have separate valves at the pump for skimmer / floor or does your floor connect to the bottom of the skimmer and then a single pipe runs from the skimmer to the pump? If the later, there should be a float diverter valve under the skimmer basket.

Post a few pictures of your equipment pad if you are unsure and we can help.

Sorry about the double post. The reason was that there was a several minute delay with the site from when I submitted to the actual posting. So I just posted again. Sorry.

Anyhow. Yes regular leaves and fragments either end up in the skimmer basket or swirling on the top of the skimmer compartment where I can grab them. But these small filamentous (.5x3mm) particles just seem to float in and out of the skimmer and do not get trapped.

The water level is 3 1/2 inches above the inlet level.

2 skimmers

There is one separate skimmer valve for a skimmer only.

The other valve has a skimmer combined with the floor drain. Both setups have a little flying saucer under the basket with a flap to control. I can post pictures later if that would help.

I've been running the floor as well as the skimmers since I just re plastered and I am adding acid (which seems to sink) twice a day. Should I just discontinue the floor drain?

Bama,

Thanks for combining the posts. I didn't expect the delay from submit to posting. On the second time I saw the warning the site gives you.

I'm actually not sure if I have the eyeballs correct. But leaves seem to get collected okay. It is just these filamentous particles that don't seem to get collected. The top of the water seems to have a film on it from these little guys.

What is a weir?

edit: I don't have weirs. should I add them if I can. I don't know the pool is 17 years old.

Thanks

Richmondtree said:
Bama,I don't have weirs. should I add them if I can. I don't know the pool is 17 years old.
If you don't have weirs, then you most likely won't get the small "filaments" you are talking about. Basically a weir focuses all the water movement going into the skimmer to the top portion of the surface. Perfect for getting those small particles. If you cannot locate weirs made for you skimmer, you can retrofit with some generic ones. If you want post your skimmer model or post some picks.

Thanks again! Here is my pool and pool equipment.

I think the plastic tabs on the skimmer pretty much confirm that weirs were available at some time. Do you think they will be hard to find,or know exactly what I am looking for?

below one image shows some lines on the bottom of the skimmer. Are these water level fill lines?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78951196@N08/6916229960/in/photostream/ lines indicating fill level?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78951196@N08/6916230876/ other skimmer pictures showing tabs for weir also pool and pad

Honestly this site is incredible. I am happily going to contribute.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Those lines look a little low for fill lines.

You are correct that those tabs would hold a weir, there should be 1 or 2 holes also where you would screw that part in. I would suggest noting where the holes are for screws and measuring the width and seeing what your local pool store has available ... see they are good for something :mrgreen:

I would recommend finding the appropriate one that mounts ... some of the spring loaded universal ones are pretty flimsy and tend to shift.

jblizzle said:
I would recommend finding the appropriate one that mounts ... some of the spring loaded universal ones are pretty flimsy and tend to shift.
On the other hand, I would recommend one of the spring loaded universal ones, 'cause they're easy to find. The ones I have bought weren't that flimsy and, even if they shift, they're easy to put back into place.

Measure the height and width of your skimmer opening and pick up a couple of weirs at the local pool store.

Cheers (and no offense to Jason, just another country heard from here).

yay..hopefully cured!!

I went to two pool stores. The first only had one replacement weir for a hayward skimmer that was definitely not mine. The second only had the universal U 3 weir. So I got it. The difference is almost unbelievable to me. I'd say the skimmer is now 10x better.

Funny thing is probably 25 pool guys from 3 companies have been at my pool and nobody has said a thing. Including the company that I paid to inspect the pool when I bought the house. sheesh.

I am due for an easy fix after broken plumbing under concrete deck, sandblasting, and re plastering on a pool that the inspector said was fine. :rant: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You guys are awesome. next job is replace filter sand. I am going to guess it is 10 years old and abused. The control freak in me wants new sand.

I wouldn't worry about replacing the sand. If I was going to do anything to it I'd open it up and wash it and resettle it with a water hose, but if it's not giving you a definite problem I wouldn't even worry about doing that.

Think of it this way. That sand is millions of years old and it hasn't worn out yet. Why would a few more years sitting in a bottle of water wear it out?

I am sure that you are correct, but I am nervous. Maybe you can allay my fears. First off I am a control freak about lots of stuff and not knowing what is in the cannister bothers me. Specifically:

1. When I inherited the pool last spring it was a totally green. I know the filter was filled with the stuff. But I guess I should relax backwashing should have taken care of it. 2. I found half full bottles of 2 different algecides, phosphate lowerers and other stuff. Yes I know relax, all that stuff should be backwashed out by now. 3. There are bits of paint mixed in with the sand from the the surface self destructing last fall, I know big deal. Most of it will be backwashed out. 4. Last year the normal running pressure was 13psi, this year it is 17psi, I know relax it is still within normal limits. Okay so there is no reason to change the sand. right?

Replacing sand is a PITA. Like that Bama Rambler said, wash it clean, make sure it's not channelled, let it settle, and you should be good to go. Might even want to use one of those filter cleaning products to help get the crud, like suntan oil residue, out when you wash the sand. I've used one of those and I think it helped. Didn't hurt anything, at least.

Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.