Bonita Springs, Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I asked the solar installer why he installed the check valve on the supply instead of the return and I was told it's a new law/requirement that the check valve be installed this way; they used to install the check valve on the return but not anymore. This doesn't make sense to me.

Also, if a check valve is installed on the return, it will not prevent the water in the vertical pipe to the roof from emptying, correct? I'm not really sure the reason for the check valve on the return.

Should I add a check valve to the return? Should it be a spring or flapper check valve?

Thanx.

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 146
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 143
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 143
You add a check valve coming from the filter to keep the water from the panels from running backwards through the filter when the pump shuts off while the solar valve is open.

The check valve at the outlet of the solar where it joins back in with the return line is to prevent water from entering the panels from the outlet when the solar is off.

So, I already have a check valve on the supply side, do I need a check valve on the return side?

Do I use a spring or flapper check valve?

Should the return check valve be installed opposite the supply check valve (photo #1, #3) or can it be installed higher up?

ricksass said:
So, the return check valve should not be installed below the 3 way solar valve...
I would put it above the 3 way solar valve so the water will not be able to flow up into the panels when the solar valve is in the off position.

If you install the check valve below the solar valve the water would still have two paths it can flow, up the solar return line to the solar panels, the wrong direction, and the other is out to the pool returns. You want to eliminate the water being able to flow in up the solar return line to the panels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.