Foam under intex ultra frame

Mar 14, 2011
I would like to hear from people that have done the foam under there ultra frame. Last year I thought about doing it, but after buying the pool and upgrading the pump and filter I couln't justify spending $200 on foam. The season is almost time to start for me, and once again I am thinking about doing the foam. If you mainly do it for comfort on the bottom of the pool, I can't see spending all that money for that. Last year I did 2 heavy duty tarps under pool, and 5/8 decking boards cut into blocks under legs and everything was great. Of course all that was after me spending 3 weekends preparing the level ground. I'm on a budget as most of us these days and if I can justify the foam under the pool, I'll spend it. but if its just one of those hey why not add foam under the pool, and it feels great on your feet when your walking around, Than I can't justify spending the $200. :rant:

i was going to go with foam also then i read where they tend to shift and then the pool liner will sink into the cracks and it would be pretty costly for something to go a bad. i have chose to go with one heavy duty tarp and then a gorilla pad on top of that pad was only $80

I've had it both ways. The first year was on leveled dirt where we cut out the sod and filled in divots as much as possible. Put the pool down without any foam. Heel marks appeared and felt uneven when walking around, and it seemed like it was harder to vacuum there. The next year I made a larger area for a bigger pool and had it professionally leveled and they put down and compressed a bunch of crushed rock. I put the foam on top of that, and covered then covered that with a tarp. I loved the foam for comfort (soft and smooth), but I also felt like it was easier to vacuum - although I only ever used an aquabroom for a vacuum, so i don't know if the ones most people use would see as much of a benefit to the smoother bottom. Also, I put the legs on the foam/tarp itself and had no problem with it sinking in or shifting at all. You could see where the legs had been when I took the pool down, but there was only a slight dent. I don't know how much of a role the crushed rock as opposed to dirt or sod played in keeping the foam in good shape. Good luck.

I have had foam under my pools for at least 8 years now. Will not be without it.
The foam protects the bottom, makes it feel nicer, looks better, easier to vacuum and insulates the pool from the cold ground.
Make sure to tape the seams together with a good quality tape (I used Gorilla tape) and put a good quality tarp over the top.
My current foam is 5 years old and is till holding up fine. The only drawback is the cost.

Just put my 18' x 52" Ultra Frame yesterday (it's about 1/3 full so far) and followed mccoonan's instructions...leveled with 2x10 w/6 ft level taped to it, used this (http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Mater ... reId=10051) 3/4" rigid foam for the entire bottom, then covered with a heavy duty tarp. Hope it works for years and years. I'm in Florida, so this pool will stay up year round.

Edit: I bought (12) 4x8 panels but only needed 11.

Sangster said:
Just put my 18' x 52" Ultra Frame yesterday (it's about 1/3 full so far) and followed mccoonan's instructions...leveled with 2x10 w/6 ft level taped to it, used this (http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Mater ... reId=10051) 3/4" rigid foam for the entire bottom, then covered with a heavy duty tarp. Hope it works for years and years. I'm in Florida, so this pool will stay up year round.

I liked that, I tried to find that in my area, and not one Home Depot sells it. How much did that run a sheet?

linen said:
When you guys say the entire bottom, does that include under the supports? If not, does the foam cause the liner to be a little slack on the sides?

You would either need to place the supports on the foam or better yet, cut out the foam where the supports are and add brick/concrete pavers. I didn't use pavers under mine and have the pool and legs sitting right on the foam. The foam under the legs is only slightly pressed in. I imagine the regular styrofoam wouldn't be stiff enough for that, but the stuff i got posted above is.

lamboman316 said:
Sangster said:

I liked that, I tried to find that in my area, and not one Home Depot sells it. How much did that run a sheet?

It's spendy, $13 per sheet here. Home Depot and Lowes had it but Lowes was $15 per sheet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sangster said:
I imagine the regular styrofoam wouldn't be stiff enough for that, but the stuff i got posted above is.
I would steer away from the polyisocyanurate foams since, in my experience, they absorb water. I would stick with the extruded polystyrene foams that handle wet applications much better. Also would avoid the expanded polystyrene since that foam dents easily.

I have had great success with the extruded polystyrene for my agp.

See comparison of insulation board here: http://www.drenergysaver.com/insulation/insulation-materials/rigid-insulation-board.html

Reactions: peterbwf
What is the down side of foam that absorbs water being used underneath an above ground pool?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I am not entirely sure, but I think hydrolysis can occur and break it down over time. I would think yours is fine, but it will be interesting to see what condition it is in, in a couple of years. I know the extruded polystyrene doesn't seem to care if it is wet for long periods of time.

1/2 pink foam sheets only available. Recommendations needed. Should I go ahead and purchase them and then put a durable tarp plus the tarp that came with the pool over them? I have a UF 18x52.
Thanks in advance.

Putting the pool up today. We usually put down foam and tape the seams then cover with a tarp and then the pool. Considering skipping the tarp this year. Has anyone skipped the tarp? My main concern is that the dirt on bottom of the pool will get stuck in the lines where the tape is on the foam. Anyone have experience either way to share?

I am trying it this year with foam, double taped with gorilla tape, and then liner directly on the foam. Skipping the tarp this year. I'll try to update mid-season to report if the tape lines collect dust on the bottom.

I just purchased and installed the Intex 32'x16'x52" AGP and did so on top of 4'x8'x1-1/2" extruded polystyrene sheets. Long story short I love the feel and recommend doing this but the legs do dig into the foam a bit and if over time this proves to be unstable, I may have to drain the pool and put 1-1/2" concrete pavers into place. If you're going to use the foam as a foundation I recommend you place the concrete pavers or wood boards down for the legs day 1.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.