Black algae... I HATE black algae!

linen said:
DesertRoseBnB said:
nuke it with trichlor
No more nuking! You didn't add that 50 lbs all at once did you? 50 lbs of trichlor (added all at once or within a short period) would have raised you FC level to 219 ppm :shock: :shock: Your ph would have dropped very low as well. :shock: :shock:

It worked when I did it a few years ago!

Let's say the CNA is next to zero and I have a huge black algea problem, how would you guys tackle it? I have yet to hear many if any solution other than a few members trying to sell me test kits!! :hammer:

We're trying! Here is my little testimony, if that helps.

I blindly dumped chemicals in my pool because the pool store told me to. I hung around on this site for a LOOOOONGGG time before I bit the bullet and bought the TF-100. No doubt the best invesment I've made in pool ownership.....it's not a sales pitch. It's a tool that allows us pool owners to take full and complete control of our pools, thus decreasing dependency on the pool store's sales pitches. I can say, and no doubt speak for the multitudes here, that we don't regret taking full control of our pools.

Our suggestions have already been stated. You need to get a reliable CYA test result. From there, since it is no doubt high, drain a lot of water from your pool in order to get that number down. From there, when you know that CYA number, you can shock your pool according to what the pool calculator says, and you can watch your algae issues go away. That is, if you continue to take full control of your pool.

The 'nuking' worked once, but it also put everything else out of whack, which is why it's happening again.

And I'm 99.9% sure your CYA is not 0. Most pool store's equipment cannot read a super-high CYA test.

DesertRoseBnB said:
how would you guys tackle it?
See this poolschool article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/defeating_algae it details how to get rid of algae, which includes black algae.
DesertRoseBnB said:
I have yet to hear many if any solution other than a few members trying to sell me test kits!! :hammer:
The methods that are taught on this board requires accurate testing of pool chemistry. That is the first step to the solution we propose. We can not help you if you do not have test numbers or if they are not reliable...hence the emphasis on getting a good kit :)

DesertRoseBnB said:
how would you guys tackle it?

1. Get accurate FC, pH, and CYA level.
2. Adjust to appropriate CYA level (probably a large water change)
3. Adjust pH to low 7s
4. Add liquid chlorine to appropriate FC shock level
5. Wait 30 minutes
6. Test FC level and add more liquid chlorine to stay above FC shock level
7. Repeat 5&6 extending wait time as possible until passing the 3 tests to stop the shocking process ... could be weeks
8. Enjoy clear algae free pool all summer by testing and adding liquid chlorine as required.

CYA, CYA. I think your looking for a magic mix to pour into your pool and make it all better! There isn't one! If your not willing to take anyones advice on here then I'm not really sure what you want? I think if you spend some time reading on here and particularly POOL SCHOOL you will see that there are allot of people on here that are only looking to help people like yourself fix your problem. Nobody on here is trying to profit from your situation. Getting a test kit of your own is the first step in your success. The reason you have Black Algae is because of improper testing and bad advice. Once you post test results on here we can walk you through the fix and save you from all non-sense the pool store is trying to sell you. Pool stores are out to take your MONEY! There testing will result in you continuing to have problems with your pool!

His cya might not be as bad as we are thinking if the pool has been closed for a while? But that's just a stab in the dark until you get a good test kit and test the cya for yourself.
I am not sure how cold your area gets during the winter months but I am almost 100% positive my cya was sky high towards the end of last season cause I was dumping in the pucks with no success battling the algae.
I recently got my Taylor 2006 kit and tested my cya, came back less than 30, tested it twice cause at 1st I thought no way... Impossible but that's what it is, I then saw some posts of others experiencing the same over the winter months. Cya seemed to disappear???
Now I will say again until you get that test kit and test the cya this is all guess work, do yourself a favor and switch to BBB, it will be the best thing you have done for your pool and with the money you save not buying expensive chemicals you can buy more toys :)
Win... Win :)

Hi DesertRoseBnB and welcome to TFP,
Well I have been reading your post from the start..I'm giving you an big 'F' grade for reading class :hammer: , your not doing your homework by reading in Pool School.
The math of pool water chemistry taught here works, so YES without a good test kit all your doing IS fooling yourself! Don't trust pools stores advice, they make their $$ from YOU spending it on their products.

We (I think I can speak for a lot of us) are not making $$ here, yes we recommend the TF-100 test kit because it's the best value and IS the SNAP-ON tool for the job at hand for fixing and preventing water chemistry problems. It is the best tool in the toolbox.
This site WOULD not even be here if what was said DIDN'T work!
If you look at most members here they have become lifetime members, in order to do so, they have GIVEN $$ (a donation) to help support this forum, to help YOU the newbie to get a FREE college education about what most of us have faced before with our pools, your water is the same as ours. All we want for you is success... like we have achieved!

Chuck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.