Replacing Valves

Jun 29, 2011
Texas
While replacing my old pump, I was planning to plumb everything with 2" lines on the pad (all were 1.5"). The Pump, filter and new SWG all are fitted for 2", so it would make life easier. However, I quickly realized all the valves (Diverter and Filter), while 2" ports, had 1.5" reducers cemented in. Unfortunately I had already cut the Filter line too close to the fitting and only little nub was left. I tried plumbing a new 1.5-2" adapter, but after it set overnight, it still leaks.

So, I figured I may as well do this right and replace the 2 diverter valves, and the filter valve.

My questions;

- I have the Hayward DE48. Is it only the slide valve that can be used for this? Or can I use the Vari-Flo? If so, any benifit?
- Is there only the one Hayward slide valve model? I only seem to find one model available for sale.
- Is there a preference with respect to Jandy vs Pentair valves? Outside the filter, everything else is Pentair (pump, SWG).
- I don't have an automation system, but if I do someday, does one valve have a better actuator?
- One of my old Ortega valves is 90 and the other 180. Do I need to worry about this in my new valve selection?

Thanks,

1) they make multiport valves for DE filters. They are more versatile than the slide valve.
2) I think they're is only one.
3) They're both good units. I'd be comfortable with either.
4) Actuators of any brand are very reliable
5) Not unless your plumbing is so tight that it would be hard to change it to work with the valves.

Bama Rambler said:
1) they make multiport valves for DE filters. They are more versatile than the slide valve.

What is the benifit of the versitility? I have only used the slide valve for backwash, but then again, I've only owned my pool for 8 months. What do the other valves do that woudl be worth the $50 more?

Thanks for all the other comments.

thanks again.

One more question. I noticed the vari-flo one stated FIP. When I checked Hawywards site, it states this is Female Iron Pipe thread. I assume they will happily accept SCH 40 Threaded PVC?

A threaded valve seems like its worth the $ to me given I can always change the plumbing without worrying about what was plumbed before. Or am I missing something.

Intake Pipe Higher than pump

When I re-plumb my new pump, I have two options;

1. cut the existing intake lines almsot down to the pad (they are in the contrete and already short), and then only have a coupler and short piece into the valve before heading to the intake of the pump.
2. Cut the existing valve off at its base, add a coupler and a 6"-8" run to a valve, and then from the valve, run out, right angled down to a second right angle and a line into the pump intake.

With option 1, I'll have to dig up the contrete pad if I ever want to change the new vale or plumbing again.

With Option 2, the intake line will be higher than the pump by a few inches before dropping back down.

Is there a problem with the intake being higher than the Pump for a brief section? I still plan to have 12" or more of straight pipe before entering the pump.

I have moved your latest post under the first topic. When at all possible, keep your posts under one Topic so everyone can easily understand your whole "story". :-D

Now, without a pic, it's a little difficult to understand the issue. Could you not simply elevate the pump?

duraleigh said:
I have moved your latest post under the first topic. When at all possible, keep your posts under one Topic so everyone can easily understand your whole "story". :-D

Now, without a pic, it's a little difficult to understand the issue. Could you not simply elevate the pump?

No problem. With one post about valve suggestions, I figured a seperate topic was required for determining the pump elevation relative to the intake.

I was thinking about elevating the pump also, as that is likely the easiest with a few walkway slabs or similar. However I wanted to know if I had to worry about the intake line rising above the pump itself, or if there was no concern.

This is not a great pic, but its the old pump, which was higher than the new intelliflo. So I have to lower the intake line, and to do so, I'll have to cut out the old ortega valve. The stubs going into the contrete pad are short enough and I figure this will be the last time anything can be added, so I was thinking of adding a fair length to be available in the future if the new valve ever failed. I'm thinking somethign similar to the return lines on teh right of the pic.

[attachment=0:2j0n1eiw]Pic3.jpg[/attachment:2j0n1eiw]

Attachments

• Pic3.jpg
    Pic3.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 99

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.