Oval pool installation beside existing deck?

Ron69

Jun 9, 2009
I have ordered a 15x30 x54" Sharkline Matrix pool with a unibead liner. My existing deck is about 48" off the ground. I would love to be able to but the pool up to the deck. Anybody have any experience with this? Any tips or ideas?

Should the top rail go over,under, or beside the deck? This will e my first pool install. I am going to pay to have the grading done. I just need to figure this out so that i know how deep to have them dig.

Thanks,
Ron

I "extended" an existing deck to come up to my AGP buried 2 feet. Wifey wants me to make a bench down the side for more seating room and so she can dip her tootsies.

Attachments

• decking.jpg
    decking.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 445
Personally I like the look you went with, but on our install I went flush with the top of the rail. Dipping feet in, as you mentioned, was desired, also, I was concerned that someone could trip over a raised ledge and fall in. With the flush deck you have to keep everyone from standing on the rail though.

Our deck is straight.

If you put the top rail above the existing deck would i still be able to fasten them on or would the deck be in the way?

Wouldnt putting the top rail under the edge of the deck keep people from standing on the rail? But then again would that make liner changes harder?

Depending on how the caps are fastened, it could make it harder to install them, but then again, so could placing them below the deck.

Putting the deck over the top does stop people from standing on the caps, but so far that hasn't been a problem for us.

My caps swivel open, so the deck is in way, if I have to remove caps I have to remove some boards, it's just the way it is. To be completely free of the rail the deck would have to be +- 3 inches below the top rail. I like that look, but tripping was a concern and the wife wanted to dip the feet.

We have a similar pool (matrix), the top rail opens upwards from the inside of the pool to the outside (almost like it is on swivels), when we had our deck built our installer told us we could do the deck however we wanted, but the top rails need to pivot up to change the liner, for this reason we built our deck under the top rail, but than added picture frame trim (deck boards cut out in to fit around the small gap between the deck and top rail) so the deck is level with the bottom of the top rail (support, and keep toes out), and if and when the liner has to be changed the picture frame trim is removable and the rail can be opened up. We haven't had any problems with kids standing on the top rails in the deck area.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.