Algae problem for some weks

Dec 11, 2011
Hi there,
My pool has been green for a few weeks now and working full time preventing me from rushing out to get some liquid chlorine, I added quite a bit of the ezichlor. I had my water tested yesterday and the reading showed very high chlorine so I was advised to not add any more as the stablier was also high . He sold me some algaeside 1 litre bottle (2pints approx). I was told to backwash, raise the PH which I did, I added the acid. I poured in half the bottle of algaeside and left the pool running for approx 10 hours. Pool is still very green and I feel it is not going away in a hurry. Oh and he told me to add the remaining bottle of algaeside today, which I have done. Ihave since read the algae advise on this web site and I know I should have done things differently. So, with what information I have given here, is there any advise? I really want to take control of this problem and not spend too much more money (needlessly) Many thanks.

To really help, we need to know what your chlorine and CYA levels are. What a lot of pool stores say is high for chlorine is actually low.

First post the latest test levels so we can see where you are at ... even it it has to be from the pool store.

Then order your own good test kit ... see my signature.

Ignore the advice the pool store is giving as it is not correct.

The higher your stabilizer the higher you must keep your free chlorine.

You should only need to put liquid chlorine to clear your pool since you stated you have cya on the pool already. Hopefully it us not already too high.

If the pool store says your stabilizer is too high, then it is probably WAY high, and is the crux of your problem, though we'd need a CYA test to confirm that. Did your store give you any actual numbers when they tested your water?
If your CYA is really high, (above 80 or so), you will need to drain some water and refill to lower it in order to get it to a level where your chlorine can be effective.

Here is the results, I cant scan here.
FCyanuric Acid -167.00
free chlorine 9.2
total chlorine 00
ph 7.9
total alkalinity 130
calcium hardness 272.00
phospate 00.00
iron 00
free copper 00

As you can see I am fairly new to this.

I do have a pool water test kit.
thanks. any advise is appreciated.

Does your test kit include ALL the different test? Especially important is the FAS-DPD test for chlorine so you can test for high enough chlorine.

Like was just stated. Your cya stabilizer is too high. 80 is about the Max that is tolerable is you need at least a 50% water change and more would be better.

For reference, with cya of 167 (although that is not likely very accurate ) you need to maintain a fc level between 13 and 20. To shock you need to hold above a fc level of 36ppm.

At 80 cya the normal levels are between 6 and 11 and shocking above 21.

The 167 reading is sort of odd, because usually tests run in increments of 10 or more, and '67' isn't a normal test increment. Additionally, most tests measure to a max of 100. Regardless, you will need to replace some of your water to bring that CYA down, and you will be wasting chemicals trying to treat your water until you do. See if you can drain about half of your water, refill, and test everything again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.