IG Liner info needed

Apr 30, 2007
NJ
Went to open my pool and found the liner is ripped, time for a new one :( The pool is a 20 x 40 with walk-in steps. If it matters its a Foxx Pool. What should I expect to pay for a new liner (installed) in Morris County NJ. Is there anything special I should look for? Are 24 or 28 mil liners better than 20? Thanks for any insight.

Howard

I would guess something in the $4K range, maybe a little more, assuming a straight install with nothing extra that needs doing.

The most important thing to look for in an installer is good references. That is far more important than anything else.

Have you heard of this outfit: http://www.aaalinerexperts.com/ ? They gave me a quote in that price range which includes any and all repair work that might be needed. This is for a 27mil non-grooved liner with all new faceplates and nozzles. They claim they do over 600 liners a year and gave me a list with phone numbers of 300 references and said they would give me more if I wanted. They include a lifetime warranty that covers BOTH material and labor to replace the liner as many times as I might need it. They will do the jobs fairly quickly, require no deposit and I only pay them once the job is done and I am satisfied with the job. Sounds almost too good, what might I be missing?

Well they gave me lots of people that recommended them, but it seems they failed to give me info on all the bad reviews that are online and the complaints with the BBB (not the pool chemicals, the other BBB).

I sell 20 mil 95% of the time. 27 and 24 mil are thicker than 20. Not necessarily better. I prefer 20 mil since it fits the pool better. The thicker and heavier liners don't conform to the shape of the pool as well and this leads to more gaps where the liner has the stretch to fit (for example where the wall meets the floor). There are some circumstances that I would recommend thicker; if the pool floor was very rough and pouring a new bottom wasn't an option. Other than that for the most part I think thicker liners are more of a gimmick to make you think you are getting something that will outlast a slightly thinner liner.

Thanks Kevin. That is what I thought. Sort of like more megapixels is used to sell digital cameras - a marketing ploy mostly beyond a certain point. I talked with the head engineer at Merlin and he gave me the same info. Said I should go with the 20 with the extra plasticizer and extra UV inhibitors rather than the thicker liner.

The liner company I deal with recently came out with a liner print that according to the manufacturer "has better uv etc,etc" Sounds good, but I have no way of really knowing how it will hold up in real life. It's a 15% markup as if you were buying the thicker mil. So far no one has purchased that print yet from me. More so than anything I think proper chemistry as well as cleaning the dirt ring at the water level will make the liner last the longest.

Well having actually worked in the PVC industry years ago I do know that the plasticizers and UV inhibitors actually do make a very big difference on how long the product lasts. I think many customers won't pay for this but will pay for thicker as they can "See" thicker but cannot see chemical composition.

AAA Liner experts made a very big deal about how thicker is better, but also made a point to tell me that liners just don't last the way they used to and that I should only expect about five years. I think that is how they convince you to use them since the will replace it free (both labor and materials) but they charge at lease 50% more than the other quotes I have received for this "insurance". I have gotten a few quotes for my 20 x 40 pool and all the others are in the $3000 to $3,200 range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.