California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital PPC4 (RC-52)
We are thinking about getting a heat pump for our pool. Just wanted to check and see if you guys had any info and if anyone had any favorites?

Thanks,
Chris

35K-- 20 x 40 IG gunite --30-40 yr old pool

I represent the Aqua Cal / Aerotemp models so naturally I would recommend those.

But, just a word of advice...
- Make sure you compare COP and BTU's of the systems, which translates to the efficiency of the system.
- Also, using a solar blanket will do wonders to the amount of heat you retain overnight, rather than suffering heat loss that the heat pump will haveto make up during the day (or your pump run time).
- Be aware that although the heat pump will do a great job of maintaining the temperature of your pool, it is not designed to heat up a large body of water quickly, as a gas heater would.

Hope this helps,

I'm researching these for my above ground pool.

From what I'm reading - the heat pump takes the outside air and uses it to raise the temp of the pool right?

Say it's 60 Degrees out - will the heat pump only be able to raise the pool temp to 60 degrees?

How about sound - would I expect a louder or softer sound operation from a heat pump?

katkami said:
I'm researching these for my above ground pool.

From what I'm reading - the heat pump takes the outside air and uses it to raise the temp of the pool right?

Say it's 60 Degrees out - will the heat pump only be able to raise the pool temp to 60 degrees?

How about sound - would I expect a louder or softer sound operation from a heat pump?

No. The heat pump extracts heat from the air, then releases it into the water. There is heat in the air until it gets down to -459ºF, but practically speaking, heat pumps work best at 30ºF and above. It's a central air conditioner for the world, trying to remove heat from the world and put it in your pool. It will sound similar to a central air system of similar size.

OK I just talked to my pool place...

They have an Aqua-Cal Aerotemp that's a couple yrs old and still under warrantee (brand new). They normally sell for $2795 but will sell to us for $2000. It's 75,000 BTU. He said "AT 6500"(?)

I just wondered if anyone sees any reason why we should be hesitant to purchase a model that's not the latest-and-greatest?

I'm over it.

I called the manufacturer to found out information on that model and discovered it's a coopernickel heat exchanger which is prone to PH issues, which isn't covered under the warrantee. So we're new pool owners and likely to have PH issues, so that makes me nervous. Not to mention the model is definitely at least 3, if not more years old - ick.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.