Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heat Pumps

1. Back To Top    #1

Heat Pumps

We are thinking about getting a heat pump for our pool. Just wanted to check and see if you guys had any info and if anyone had any favorites?

Thanks,
    Chris

35K-- 20 x 40 IG gunite --30-40 yr old pool
    30-40yr old prehistoric IG gunite 20 X 40 approx 30000gals
    now with new cool blue Diamond Brite and blue waterline tile (looking good for 40yr old pool)
    new Hayward 244T sand filter, 3/4 Hayward pump, Jandy heat pump
    pool skim (love it)

2. Back To Top    #2

I represent the Aqua Cal / Aerotemp models so naturally I would recommend those.

But, just a word of advice...
    - Make sure you compare COP and BTU's of the systems, which translates to the efficiency of the system.
    - Also, using a solar blanket will do wonders to the amount of heat you retain overnight, rather than suffering heat loss that the heat pump will haveto make up during the day (or your pump run time).
    - Be aware that although the heat pump will do a great job of maintaining the temperature of your pool, it is not designed to heat up a large body of water quickly, as a gas heater would.

Hope this helps,
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

3. Back To Top    #3
    I'm researching these for my above ground pool.

From what I'm reading - the heat pump takes the outside air and uses it to raise the temp of the pool right?

Say it's 60 Degrees out - will the heat pump only be able to raise the pool temp to 60 degrees?

How about sound - would I expect a louder or softer sound operation from a heat pump?
    21' Round (12k Gallons) AG
    Strong Pools Colosseum Riser 56", 1 hp Sand filter, 10'x12' Composite Deck,
    Auquacal Aerotemp Heat Pump, Also: Sundance Cameo Spa
    See my pool build thread here: Katkami's Pool Build - With time lapse video!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by katkami
    I'm researching these for my above ground pool.

From what I'm reading - the heat pump takes the outside air and uses it to raise the temp of the pool right?

Say it's 60 Degrees out - will the heat pump only be able to raise the pool temp to 60 degrees?

How about sound - would I expect a louder or softer sound operation from a heat pump?
    No. The heat pump extracts heat from the air, then releases it into the water. There is heat in the air until it gets down to -459ºF, but practically speaking, heat pumps work best at 30ºF and above. It's a central air conditioner for the world, trying to remove heat from the world and put it in your pool. It will sound similar to a central air system of similar size.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5
    OK I just talked to my pool place...

They have an Aqua-Cal Aerotemp that's a couple yrs old and still under warrantee (brand new). They normally sell for $2795 but will sell to us for $2000. It's 75,000 BTU. He said "AT 6500"(?)

I just wondered if anyone sees any reason why we should be hesitant to purchase a model that's not the latest-and-greatest?

6. Back To Top    #6
    I'm over it.

I called the manufacturer to found out information on that model and discovered it's a coopernickel heat exchanger which is prone to PH issues, which isn't covered under the warrantee. So we're new pool owners and likely to have PH issues, so that makes me nervous. Not to mention the model is definitely at least 3, if not more years old - ick.