PB started pool yesterday, questions about first test result

Vinoveritas

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 10, 2011
Austin, Texas
So the plaster (Wet Edge Technologies Satin finish Midnight Sea) was completed Tuesday, they came back to acid wash on Wednesday and began filling. It was filled by Thursday night before we went to bed. Yesterday, the PB sent his guy around to start up the system. Pool school isn't for another month since the first month is already paid for but I am moving forward with BBB as of now.

My first test results are as follows (I am using the tft100 kit):
FC - 7.5
TA - 70
CH - 140
CYA - 60
CC - I forgot to do this test
pH - over 8.2

The PB put on a Rainbow Chlorinator and it is operating right now but I plan on turning it off now since the CYA seems high enough but the person starting the pool dumped two containers of CYA which looked like pounders so I am not sure my CYA reading is correct. There are 3 pucks in the chlorinator and it is set on 3. The pH seems very high and I am not sure the guy put any acid in yesterday after dumping 2 gallons of 12% LC. The water is clear, but the leaves are a drag. Once they sink, I have to fish them out since I can't use a cleaner or vac for 28 days. I am headed to Costco to buy some bleach for later and was going to pick up a 2 gallon pack of HCL at Lowes or HD this morning. I can't believe my CH is that low too since Austin water is normally high in calcium. I am going to test again after lunch and see if it is user error. I owned a reef tank and had to test often so I wouldn't think it was me but who knows. I am going to order the speed stir for sure now :-D

Any quick advice for me? Thanks a lot!

Re: PB started pool yesterday, questions about first test re

No more pucks. :)

Besides that you've got a grasp on what you're doing. Don't let the builder mess up your numbers. It's cheaper to punch him now in the face than to fix what he messes up later.

The key thing is to keep the PH below 8.0 if at all possible. That will probably mean adding acid every day. If they aren't doing it, you should. The PH will tend to go up rapidly for the first several weeks, and then much more slowly for up to a year.

TA and CH levels will also go up for the first several weeks. In particular, you don't want to raise CH now. If you do, and it also goes up later your final CH level will be too high. If CH is still too low after three weeks it will be time to adjust it then.

It sounds like you have a very good understanding of what's what. Nice work! :lol:

Lower your pH down to around 7.2 The new plaster will have it constantly on the rise. monitor it carefully and keep the pH in the 7's all the time, regardless of how much acid it takes.

Did PB tell you to brush the new plaster?

Those three pucks are OK but I wouldn't use any more...you're right you have enough CYA.

I'd check the CH again just like you said if you think it should be higher. The new plaster usually sheds calcium as well so don't be in too big of a hurry to add any just yet.

It's cheaper to punch him now in the face than to fix what he messes up later.
Could that be a new TFP mantra? :mrgreen:

Well, everybody is posting faster than me but I'm not gonna' waste my typing!!

So my pH is climbing again. Glad I bought 4 gallons at Lowes Friday since I have gone through 3 quarts so far. I need to find some bleach and turn off the rainbow since FC was up to 8 this morning with a 60 CYA. I called Wet Edge and the CYA is way too high already so they are suggesting I do a water change to get it down to 25ppm or so. :hammer: Won't that need to be a 60% change?

He also suggested I get a metal sequestrant but didn't have a recommendation besides picking something up at the pool supply store. Also, once I put this in, how do I test for it to keep it on 10-12ppm like they suggest? I called the PB today and told him I needed to schedule pool school now so I can learn all the controls since I am kinda just blindly using trial and error on getting the pump started off schedule, and I am sure I am going to need to clean the DE filter sooner rather than later.

I would stay focused on keeping the pH in the 7's

What did pb say about brushing?

Keeping your FC somewhere around 4-6ppm with bleach is fine.....leave your CYA alone.

RE: cleaning your filter...What was your startup psi and what is it now?

Back for more!

FC- 11.5
CC - .75(after one drop it was so close to clear that I almost didn't notice a very slight pink hue)
pH - 7.8
T/A - 70
CH - 380
CYA - 70

Dave - I am brushing the pool twice a day now with the regular white bristle brush that the PB left. I say now because I wasn't told to do it at all and took it upon myself to do it once a day until yesterday when I read on WET's site that it should be done twice a day. I have a dark blue finish (Midnight Sea) and just noticed some white sploches in the deep end that don't come up with repeated brushings. :grrrr:

I told my PB that with the swings I am dealing with in pH that a once a week cleaning was not going to work and that I needed to be scheduled for Pool School. I also turned the rainbow dispenser OFF this morning. FC had climbed 3.5 in one day and that was with swimmers in the pool yesterday. My CYA has climbed as well of course. I was originally aiming for about 70 but I talked to a tech at Wet Edge Tech yesterday who told me their ideal set up is CYA in around 25 and FC in the 3-4 range. What does high chlorine levels do to a pebble finish?

The DE pressure gauge is sitting at 12. What it started with is anyone's guess since the guy who started my pool let set it at 1800 rpm for a 12 hour run. At that flow, it was at 7-8 and my PB came by yesterday and had me move it up to 2550 and it is pulling 1085 watts right now. What do you think a good schedule should be for the pool? I know I don't need that flow for 12 hours a day (I hope) so would 3 hours in the morning and then shifting to the 1800 rpm be acceptable?

I am so happy I found this place!

This morning's update:

FC - 5.5
CC - .5
TC - 6
pH - 7.6
TA - 50 (tested twice)
CH - 200 (I think my high result above was bc I doubled the result, confusing it with the Chlorine Drop Test)
CYA - 60

So I just added 50 oz of 6% bleach and was thinking about adding enough baking soda to get my TA up to 70 but was wondering if it was normal to lose TA in just a few days after staying steady for 10. I tested twice with different samples so I know it is correct.

My CH hasn't gone up as I expected but I think that is because my local water isn't as hard as I thought. I was thinking of adding enough to get to 230 today or should I just take it up to 250 now?

Thanks again and I when I get a chance today, I am going to become a supporter. Talking to a guy with an AGP yesterday and listening to his complete ignorance, coupled with how convinced he was in everything he said, makes me very happy to have this resource so I want to contribute.

Adding acid to lower pH also lowers TA so it's understandable that it gets lower over time.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to bring the CH up. Watch it for a couple of weeks and see if it raises on its own.

If you don't have a swcg then you're probably in a good range on the CYA. With CYA in your pool and keeping the FC at the levels we recommend for your CYA level there won't be any harm to your finish. They may seem high, but remember that the CYA is moderating them.

As for your pump run. I'd run it at about 2500 rpm for an hour or two, to help the skimmer action, and then run it the rest of the time at about 1000 rpm. You'll have to play with it a little to see what works best for your pool but those should be good starting numbers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

So I found a door hanger from our pool cleaner yesterday afternoon which had some bad news on it. The PB includes a month of maintenance for his pools but since I have taken over water balancing, he only needs to do the mechanical stuff and I told him this when he was at my place a week ago. We had some thunder storms come through yesterday afternoon and the note from the pool cleaner said it was lightening and all he was able to do was "clean the skimmer baskets and shock the pool."

I have no idea why he would shock. The water is sparkling, I just added bleach in the morning to get me to 7 ppm FC and my CC was barely registering on the drop test. I got tired of wasting my R-0871 and stopped counting at 42 drops but it was about at the color change. Luckily it is 55F now so no one wants to swim but it is a little aggravating.

What should the FC come back to after shocking before getting back in the pool, anyway?

I would swim in your pool with an FC around 25 or so and feel very comfortable. Others want it to be less. As a guideline on the forum, we think Shock value is a good, safe level.

You are running into some conflicts between what we teach and info from other sources. We don't have any agenda here but I will tell you it is difficult to manage your pool water correctly if you become influenced by sources that are often in error. You've got thousands of pool owners backing you up on this site and the information here is tried and true.

Tell your PB you want NO MORE stuff dumped in your pool without your prior knowledge. Better yet tell him not to put ANYTHING in your pool.

Wet Edge is wrong about CYA level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.