FYI on Muratic Acid at Lowes

Jul 6, 2007
I went to Lowes to buy some Muriatic Acid and was surprised to find that not only had it gone up in price from $8.49 for two gal. to over $9.50 for two gal. But even more disappointing is that fact that they are now carrying the "14.5%" hydrochloric acid instead of the "29%" hydrochloric acid that they usually carry. There were a few beat up boxes of the old stuff on the ground next to the pallet of the 14% stuff and I grabbed those up (they even rang up at the old price!).

I have checked a few other Lowes and they also had the 14% junk. Looks like I'll be getting my acid from the pool store from now on. I had heard that last year Home Depot started carrying the 14% stuff and now it looks like Lowes has followed suit. Just thought I would pass this along as an FYI to anyone that gets there acid at Lowes.

That's interesting. I bought a box of MA at Lowe's last weekend. I did notice the price went up, but didn't think to check the 'strength'. I just went and looked and it's 31.45%.

I believe that muriatic acid concentrations are changing in some areas and staying the same in other areas. It may have to do with how government regulations in some areas are interacting with insurance issues but I don't have any confirmation of that.

I'm in California and all the Lowes I've checked have the 14.5%. It wouldn't surprise me if it was only California area stores that were doing this. I sure love the weather here, but other than that Cali pretty much sucks.

lowes doesnt have the best price to begin with, its $15.99 for 4 gal while lowe's was, as you said, ~$8.50/2gal. may not be much, but enough that i still buy from the pool store, just like DE, its $15/15lbs at home depot/lowes and $14/25lbs at the pool store.

I just got back from a Dublin, CA Lowes and they still have the 29% Kemtek Muriatic Acid @ $7.49/2 Gallons. Given what everyone has experienced, I picked up a few extra boxes to last me the year just in case.

So it doesn't look like a state wide mandate or at least not yet. Home Depot had made the change last year so it could just be the local store making the decision to go with lower concentration acid and maybe it has to do with the insurance cost.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.