Dirt from return when switching pump from low to high?

JesseWV

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2011
West Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So this morning I switched the pump from low to high to do some vacuuming and immediately fine brown dirt started coming out of the return. In horror I turned it off immediately. I just replaced the gasket in the multi-port last year. What could be causing this?

duraleigh said:
When did you last clean/backwash your filter?

2 days prior. I backwashed after vacuuming for the first time this season.

Then I adjusted TA, pH, added CYA to the filter and brought it up to shock level. I let it run for 1 day on high. The water looked great the next day so I turned the pump down to low. It ran for another whole 24 hours on low until this morning.

I went out today to do some finishing touches with the vacuum and noticed the dirt when I flipped to high to hook up the suction plate.

Bama Rambler said:
It may have been some residual in the line that settled out on low speed but the velocity of high speed was enough to carry it out.

I let it run for a good 30 seconds. It was just continuously shooting a medium brown jet of dirt into the almost sparkly pool. I'm starting to wonder if I'll even be able to use the low speed on my filter. :(

I had the same problem last year. I think my sand was channeled, so I deep cleaned the filter by removing the top and shoving a garden hose down through the sand and moving it around, being careful of the laterals. You need to let the hose run until the water overflowing from the filter runs clear. Then do a good backwash/rinse. That solved the problem. Good luck :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.