Sep 20, 2011
Is there ever a time you would use flock? As posted in a earlier post, I have a high 90/100 CYA level in my pool. I know I must do a partial drain refill and retest. I know I must perform this step again and again until a min of 50 CYA is obtained. I did use pucks last year :rant: but since preparing my pool for this years use I have been using bleach and will continue to use bleach. Once my min CYA level of 50 is obtained should I at this point shock and scrub or would I use a FLOCK to ensure all the dead algea is removed from the pool.

Currently: Just tested

Water clear, but brown puddles on the floor daily maybe the sun but at times these puddles seem to have yellow tint.....slight movement around the puddle area and poof its gone

FC/5
PH/7.6
TA/120
CYA/100

Thanks all for your continued support and when I get this mess under control I will attach pics of my sparkling pool, new deck and hard plumbing! Must say Love this site :mrgreen:

If your water is clear there is no possible reason to use flock.

I don't normally recommend using flock. However, flock can be worth using if you are in a huge hurry to clean up the pool and would prefer to do a fair bit of extra work and spend extra money to get things done quickly. Also, keep in mind that flock doesn't work every time and you have to be able to vacuum to waste or there is no point in even trying it.

Thanks Jason for your response, time is what Im looking at. Would high yield bleach/ cleaning eliminate the brown puddles of course in time? If I get my CYA levels down, shock and maintain a 10PPM FC reading and still have brown puddles but clear water would you then FLOCK? I have some FLOCK that a neighbor gave me and having to vacuum to waste is no problem if FLOCK seems to be my only answer to eliminate the puddles. What steps would you do to eliminate this pesky brown puddles?

This should have been posted with your other post. It is always helpful to keep your questions in the same thread so everyone can get an "overview" of your "story". :lol:

but brown puddles on the floor daily maybe the sun but at times these puddles seem to have yellow tint.....slight movement around the puddle area and poof its gone
starting to sound more and more like dead algae. If time is important, I would consider the shock process rather than 10ppm FC. Either will work but you will quicker results by shocking.

The brown puddles, as you call them, are caused by some kind of fine debris accumulating on the bottom of the pool. There are several possible causes, some of which you can get rid of and others you can't get rid of. First, flock will not help at all, zero nothing, waste of time. Flock gets debris suspended in the water to fall to the bottom. Your debris is already on the bottom, so flock can't help.

To clean up the brown stuff you need to carefully vacuum the pool, moving slowly enough that the vacuum doesn't blow the debris back up into the water. Depending on where the brown stuff is coming from that might be all you need to do.

Debris like that can come from many sources. Storms often blow extremely fine dust into the pool, which can then take days to settle out. Pollen is constantly falling in the pool and some kinds of pollen will eventually settle on the bottom as fine debris. Dead algae can also accumulate on the bottom of the pool. If your brown stuff is dead algae, and it continues to accumulate you either need to shock the pool, or you need to raise the FC level a little higher than you have been keeping it up till now. But if it is anything other than dead algae, nothing to do with chlorine will help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.