Test Question - CL with Ozone

jfe

Feb 1, 2012
I drank the PB Kool Aid and had the ozone system installed - I have done my monday morning research and am looking at installing a SWCG next year - In the meantime I had installed a tab feeder. The PB installed the chlorinator downstream of the ozone generator so all of the gas from the ozone constantly air locked the feeder. I am going to re-plumb a few things and get it installed before the ozone feed. As for now - I am putting my tabs in the skimmer for a few weeks until I get the feeder issue worked out - I am running my pump 24/7.

With the ozone - I was told to keep my CL residual around 1ppm. Is that correct?

The following are my test results from this am

Free CL = 2.68
Total CL = 2.79
Alkalinity = 92
Hardness = 201
CYA = 42

Water looks great. Any suggestions on my results

The FC level required varies dramatically with the CYA level. Lower CYA levels mean that lower FC levels are fine. Higher CYA levels require higher FC levels. With CYA around 40, I recommend keeping FC at 3 or higher. Meanwhile, the use of a tablet feeder means your CYA level is constantly going up. CYA won't go up very quickly, but unless you have a lot of water replacement it will eventually high enough to be a problem.

I would simply turn off the ozone system unless you are having a lot of people swimming (a pool party for example). Ozone increases chlorine usage and really doesn't help anything except when you have lots of people swimming (and thus lots of extra organic waste that needs to be oxidized).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.