Need Water Movement

Apr 6, 2012
Hello, I am glad I found this site. I have a pool here in Vail AZ. Since we have lived here 2yrs we have had spring tail bugs. Now they dont harm anything and there are SO many of them that come out of the wash behind my house I cannot kill them. However after a trip to the Entomology Department here at Uof A, I have been told that they like still water, normally ponds. Now I have had the chlorine levels up at unsafe levels trying to kill them and they dont get hurt cause they float on the very top of the water. My next step is to try to find a fountain to float in the pool to consistantly move the water without having to have my pumps running. I would LOVE suggestions because all I am finding are ones that take batteries, tiny ones that are solar, which I dont know if they would move enough water to work, or crazy huge ones that cost high hundreds to multi thousands of dollars. I was hoping to find something in the MAX $200 that either is solar or low energy and can be plugged in. Thanks I sure hope I can get answers!!!!

Oh, my other question is how much dammage would I do to my pool if I added dish soap? He said that adding dish soap will run them off, but I have a feeling that is a super bad idea. Thanks

Will the borates kill the spring tails like the dish soap will? I am not even sure if the dishsoap would work because there is so much water compared to the soap I would add. The pool itself is fabulous, clean, clear and very easy to keep up with. I just hate these bugs, they come out around 12 and leave at 5...they are my not so welcome guests....

If springtails enter swimming pools, they will drown because they cannot tolerate chlorinated water for long. Since they live in surrounding soil, preventing the soil from becoming overly moist and reducing the acidity by liming controls the populations. Natural enemies, such as naturally occurring predaceous mites, may also help control springtails without the application of pesticides. Soapy water (about 1% dishwashing soap in water) or insecticidal soap can be applied to soil or mulch where springtails occur. Contacted springtails will drown or suffocate in the soapy water.

It is sometimes necessary to control springtails with outdoor insecticide applications. These applications can be made as either barrier treatments to prevent springtails from entering the house or as broadcast treatments to control springtails in infested areas of the landscape. Barrier treatments are usually applied to the walls and soil immediately surrounding the house. It is typical to make barrier applications 3 feet up the wall and 6 feet out, depending on the label. Additionally, treatments should concentrate on steps and damp areas. It may also be necessary to treat mulched flowerbeds and the base of shrubbery. Products registered for outdoor barrier treatments are listed in Table 2. Broadcast treatments may also be applied to infested areas of the landscape. Table 3 lists products registered for outdoor broadcast treatment of springtails. Proper scheduling of applications may increase the efficiency of control. Applications should be made in the afternoon or early evening because springtails will be most active then. Because of the moist conditions and high organic matter in areas of treatment, it is usually necessary to apply treaments at regular intervals to maintain control. Be sure to read and follow all directions on the label.

Yeah it's anecdotal but there are posts from people saying their bug issues went down after borating their pools. Its probably more viable than the dish soap and worst case you still get the benefits of the borates vs dish soap prob causing more problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.