Hello, newbie here: Green tint to freshly filled pool

Get some CYA in the water, and run it for a few days with the bleach you got in it. Order yourself a test kit ASAP and by the time you get it if it isn't cleared up then shock it. Your going to need a test for sure.

maxepr1 said:
Get some CYA in the water, and run it for a few days with the bleach you got in it. Order yourself a test kit ASAP and by the time you get it if it isn't cleared up then shock it. Your going to need a test for sure.

So does the FC need to be at a certain level to add the CYA? I have this idea that if the chlorine is too low the CYA will stabilize the chlorine at the low level. Does it work that way or can they be adjusted independently of one another? It's sad that this is my 4th season with the pool and I am this clueless. :)

It's ok, theres allot of people here that will help! Low or no CYA will allow the sun eat up what FC you have, it's unstable water. You can adjust them independent of each other. CYA is set and as long as you don't lose allot of water it will stay about the same all swimming season. It will slowly go down but it should stay good though the whole swim season. I would do about half of what the calculator says and then walk it up slowly so you don't go over. Once you put in the skimmer it takes about a week to dissolve, so testing a week latter will give the best number.I would put this in now and run for a week. That way you hold what FC you just put in.

maxepr1 said:
It's ok, theres allot of people here that will help! Low or no CYA will allow the sun eat up what FC you have, it's unstable water. You can adjust them independent of each other. CYA is set and as long as you don't lose allot of water it will stay about the same all swimming season. It will slowly go down but it should stay good though the whole swim season. I would do about half of what the calculator says and then walk it up slowly so you don't go over. Once you put in the skimmer it takes about a week to dissolve, so testing a week latter will give the best number.I would put this in now and run for a week. That way you hold what FC you just put in.

Awesome, thanks!!!

I see no reason to shock that pool. Crystal clear green is an indicator of precipitated iron, not algae.

I would suggest you put a large jug of chlorine in after the sun is off the pool tonight and then go to Lowe's/HD/ Pool store and pick up enough stabilizer to get to 40ppm.

If you get the powdered form of CYA, you'll need 8 lbs. If you get the pricier liquid, you'll need about 2.5 gallons. You can put the powder slowly into the skimmer if you like but do not backwash for a week if you do......it doesn't look to me like you need to, but don't. If you pay extra for the liquid, it will be effective reight away and your done.

Once you get the CYA into the pool, bring your FC up to around 5-8ppm and hold it there. I believe the green in your pool will be captured by the filter and will disappear in 3-7 days.

You REALLY need a test kit to manage your pool. :lol:

duraleigh said:
I see no reason to shock that pool. Crystal clear green is an indicator of precipitated iron, not algae.

I would suggest you put a large jug of chlorine in after the sun is off the pool tonight and then go to Lowe's/HD/ Pool store and pick up enough stabilizer to get to 40ppm.

If you get the powdered form of CYA, you'll need 8 lbs. If you get the pricier liquid, you'll need about 2.5 gallons. You can put the powder slowly into the skimmer if you like but do not backwash for a week if you do......it doesn't look to me like you need to, but don't. If you pay extra for the liquid, it will be effective reight away and your done.

Once you get the CYA into the pool, bring your FC up to around 5-8ppm and hold it there. I believe the green in your pool will be captured by the filter and will disappear in 3-7 days.

You REALLY need a test kit to manage your pool. :lol:

Thanks! I have 15 lbs. of powder stabilizer ready to go, I just haven't added it yet. I will add the CYA when I get home and the sun has set. I am working on getting the test kit now.....I know I have to get a good one. Once I do all of that tonight, should I start adding salt and turn on my SWG tomorrow?

Thanks! I have 15 lbs. of powder stabilizer ready to go, I just haven't added it yet. I will add the CYA when I get home and the sun has set. I am working on getting the test kit now.....I know I have to get a good one. Once I do all of that tonight, should I start adding salt and turn on my SWG tomorrow?
Okay, but let's go a little slower. You do not need 15 lbs of stabilizer, you need eight! I think you meant to say you will add the bleach tonight when the sun has set but you said stabilizer....you meant bleach, correct?

Let's get all that clarified first.

duraleigh said:
Okay, but let's go a little slower. You do not need 15 lbs of stabilizer, you need eight! I think you meant to say you will add the bleach tonight when the sun has set but you said stabilizer....you meant bleach, correct?

Let's get all that clarified first.

Oh, I know.....I just meant I have a 15 lb. tub at the house already. :) Actually my wife has already added the bleach just a short while ago. I forgot about waiting until the sun set and she had already done it when you reminded me. Should I add more after sunset?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Should I add more after sunset?
Yes, another jug. Sunlight QUICKLY consumes chlorine when there is no stabilizer. I suggest you add the 8lbs of stabilizer slowly into the skimmer now as well.

No reason to test for it for at least a few days as it takes a while to dissolve in your filter. Do not backwash during this time.

Tomorrow you can assume that your CYA is 40ppm and so add the chlorine accordingly. Calculate enough to get your FC up to around 5-7ppm.

Test your water for salt content tomorrow as well and then get enough salt to bring it up where the SWG instructions say. You will have SOME salt in the pool already so don't assume you are starting from zero.

4ppm is too high?

Here is my plan, tell me if I am wrong here.

Tonight

1. Add one more jug of 96 oz. of bleach. This should compensate any that was lost from adding it during the sunlight.
2. Add 8 lbs. of stabilizer to get my CYA up.

Tomorrow

1. Test FC again and add enough bleach to get it from whatever it is in the morning into the range of 5-7ppm.
2. Add (according to pool calculator) 15 of the 40 lb. bags of salt to raise my salt content from 400 to 3200. Not sure if that is correct, but I was told 3200 for my salt cell.
3. Start SWG. Question here.....how do I determine what setting to put it on? I think I saw that in pool school, I need to go back and re-read that part.

One other question.....is there a time of day that is smarter to run the pump and SWG? I run about 10 hours a day.....is it better to do like 6AM-4PM or Noon-10PM? Does it matter?

Depending on what time those first two jugs were added, you can skip that next jug....your call, either way works.

Tomorrow's plan looks good. Why not start your setting at 30% and then adjust as necessary.

I like to split pump run times. Why not 3 sessions of three hours each spread out over the 24 hour period. Nice, even distribution of chlorine and perhaps a little more efficient cleaning of the pool

duraleigh said:
Depending on what time those first two jugs were added, you can skip that next jug....your call, either way works.

Tomorrow's plan looks good. Why not start your setting at 30% and then adjust as necessary.

I like to split pump run times. Why not 3 sessions of three hours each spread out over the 24 hour period. Nice, even distribution of chlorine and perhaps a little more efficient cleaning of the pool

It was about 2:30. Glad my plan looks good, I think I finally have an idea of what to do! :) I will report back tomorrow with some new readings although I realize the CYA will not likely respond by tomorrow. Thanks again!

Monday morning update:

Great news.....pool is pretty much blue now! I added 2 more jugs of bleach last night because when I got home I could barely get a FC reading. I guess the sun ate all the bleach my wife put in during the afternoon hours. I also added the 8 lbs. of stabilizer. Last night I stopped at Wal-Mart to get some bleach and they had an HTH 6 way test kit for $22. I know it's not as good, but I needed something for now. Hopefully I am doing this correctly. These are the numbers I came up with just now.

FC 5.0 (it's bright yellow....looked like the highest possible reading to me)
pH 7.5
TA 130
CH 240
CYA 35 (was surprised it registered......could barely see the dot at 40, couldn't at 30)

How am I doing here, I think things are looking up! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.