Replacing overlap liner...filling pool liner coming off wall

Apr 6, 2012
Hi,

We just set our pool back up after moving and bought a new overlap liner. Our pool is 27 foot round. Put the liner in, made sure we had the same amount of overlap all the way around, smoothed out the wrinkles and started filling with water. Once we got about 8-10 inches of water in the pool the liner started pulling off the walls. It also seems there is alot of air between the liner and the walls. :grrrr:

So we drained the water added more sand base then called for and redid the liner and the same thing happened!

The liner we purchased was for a 27 foot round 52 inch walls which is what we have so I do not understand why this liner will not fit.

We are about to lose our minds and we have called every pool place trying to hire someone to put it in and as soon as you tell them overlap they laugh and say no.

Re: Replacing overlap liner...filling pool liner coming off

Welcome to tfp, csw3636 :wave:

I think your problem might be assuming that you will have the same amount of overlap this time as before. Different manufacturers leave different extra on the length of the liner wall portion. Same is true for different liner models from same manufacturer and sometimes true for the same model liner.. I would just go around the pool and evenly lower the liner down further. Weahter plays a role here too, the lower the temp, the less liner stretch, the more sun the more liner stretch, etc.

Thanks for the replies and the welcome :-D

Our old liner was a beaded....what I meant by the same amount was with this liner that we had 2 inches of overlap all the way around the pool...if that makes since, lol

The temp was warm mid 80s and it was sunny.

Bought a shop vac this evening but the temp is only 59 and I am pretty tired of this pool liner at this point and don't feel like messing with it

csw3636 said:
Our old liner was a beaded....what I meant by the same amount was with this liner that we had 2 inches of overlap all the way around the pool...if that makes since, lol
Sorry about that misunderstanding.

csw3636 said:
Bought a shop vac this evening but the temp is only 59 and I am pretty tired of this pool liner at this point and don't feel like messing with it
A shop vac will not stop the liner from pulling on the sides of a pool. It is used to set the liner against the wall so that wrinkles can be worked out before water is added. The water is the only thing that will stretch/conform your liner. It is possible your liners wall section is too short, but I would guess it is fine. What state is the pool in now? Do you have a deep end, or is it a flat bottom? How thick of a liner did you get? How did you form your bottom (built up with sand, etc.)? What is your wall height?

linen said:
csw3636 said:
Sorry about that misunderstanding.

csw3636 said:
A shop vac will not stop the liner from pulling on the sides of a pool. It is used to set the liner against the wall so that wrinkles can be worked out before water is added. The water is the only thing that will stretch/conform your liner. It is possible your liners wall section is too short, but I would guess it is fine. What state is the pool in now? Do you have a deep end, or is it a flat bottom? How thick of a liner did you get? How did you form your bottom (built up with sand, etc.)? What is your wall height?

The pool is in Illinois.

No deep end...it is a flat bottom.

Bought a 20 gauge from Leisure Living Premium Caribbean Overlap Liner. Built up the floor with sand...pool wall is 52inch and from the sand floor to the top of the pool wall is 50 inches.

That is why I am losing my mind as to why as soon as I get 8-10 inches of water in the pool I start to lose the liner off the walls as there should be plenty of it to stay on.

csw3636 said:
The pool is in Illinois.
Sorry, I am really having communications issues tonight :oops: I meant does it have water in it now, and how high?
csw3636 said:
Bought a 20 gauge from Leisure Living Premium Caribbean Overlap Liner. Built up the floor with sand...pool wall is 52inch and from the sand floor to the top of the pool wall is 50 inches.
Sounds like your install is good and the liner is not too thick, so it should stretch. If it is empty, I would pull it up so the the middle is just above the floor. Start filling it and the water will pull on the center and stretch it. Again, you will need some sun for this to work best. As the liner is stretching into your bottom, you will slowly move around the pool and let down some slack until the liner is seated at top of cove. Hopefully at this point you still have some overlap.

It there is still water in it now, then it my relax overnight. Otherwise wait till the sun hits tomorrow and hopefully it will stretch. It should.

OMG that is so funny...I thougt you meant the physical state, lol :oops: No we took the water back out so it is empty with the liner still inside attached to the walls with coping (we had to pull alot of it back up over the wall)

So how should you install an overlap as we placed the liner inside the pool in the middle and opened it up centered it and then walked around inside attaching it to the wall...you say to pull it up so the middle is just above the floor. Does that mean to lay it over the top of the pool walls and top rails?

Sorry for so many questions I really wish I would have bought a beaded liner :hammer:

csw3636 said:
So how should you install an overlap as we placed the liner inside the pool in the middle and opened it up centered it and then walked around inside attaching it to the wall...you say to pull it up so the middle is just above the floor. Does that mean to lay it over the top of the pool walls and top rails?
I would think the method you used should work, you may just have to fill it more. How high was the water when you stopped?

Here is a video I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crylyq92CuM&feature=related Sounds a bit like your method you tried.

If you think it won't then you could try how I did my liner:

Mine is an expandable liner and I have a deep end. Outside the pool, I folded my liner up long and narrow then lifted up over the pool from the outside. Then unfolded it and centered it on pool with the overlap pulled over the edge of the steel wall (I did not top rails or ledges on at this point). I folded the overlap over the steel wall (no rails or ledges on). Then I released liner from the overlap until the middle was just above the center of the pool and then I started to fill. The water will pull down the liner and you will need to let out slack from the overlap, moving around the pool and doing this symmetrically. Once the water starts going up the cove, then you should still have enough liner to overlap the edge. At this point you want the seam between the liner walls and the liner bottom to be somewhere on the cove.

Ok so I am having a similar problem. I am a new construction and the problem i'm having is that is seems like the liner, J-hook, is pulling the walls of the pool and making them buckle. Inside set up is I bought the perfect pool bottom and cove so we did not have to add sand under it. It would seem as the sun warming it up the walls are going straighter? According to perfect pool bottom it eliminates the need for sand. or should we still consider to put some sand at the bottom??? My husband and I may end up divorced after this.

Reactions: 85walls

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Paris said:
My husband and I may end up divorced after this.

Sad to say the same here...way to stressful on a relationship.

We took the liner down again and added more sand to the cove...again more than called for. We were going to try to install the liner again today but the sun went away and it got chilly and you could feel the liner stiffening so I am not even going there.

The problem it seems with our liner is when we are filling it with water it seems to get air behind the liner and the wall at the cove and therefore makes the liner slip off the wall or shoudl I say it pulls it down and off the wall.

As I said before I called every pool place around and they refuse to install as soon as I tell them it is an overlap. :grrrr:

Do I understand you correctly that your pool is a beaded liner pool but you're putting an overlap liner in it?
If so how are you securing the liner to the wall?
You should stretch the liner out and secure it, then vacuum it to the pool wall and fill it with water.

Bama Rambler said:
Do I understand you correctly that your pool is a beaded liner pool but you're putting an overlap liner in it?
If so how are you securing the liner to the wall?
You should stretch the liner out and secure it, then vacuum it to the pool wall and fill it with water.

Hi,

When we first bought the pool it had a beaded liner...we moved and didn't put the pool up for a year. Liner was bad so we purchased a new liner for it...we bought an overlap liner and new coping fpor the overlap.

We are securing it to the walls with the coping strips. We have tried to stretch the liner out, maybe we are not doing it right...any tips for stretching??

Thanks!

You usually just unfold the liner and stretch it out and put the retainer on and vacuum it out. It'll usually stretch right out. You may be trying to put it in, in too cold weather. You may have to wait till it warms up to get it to stretch properly.

I must say we waited until about 10 and started filling again. You could tell once the sun had been on the liner it became softer. My pool is almost filled, tomorrow we put in the skimmer, and return then it will be up and ready to swim as soon as the water warms up.

Bama Rambler said:
You usually just unfold the liner and stretch it out and put the retainer on and vacuum it out. It'll usually stretch right out. You may be trying to put it in, in too cold weather. You may have to wait till it warms up to get it to stretch properly.

The first time we put the liner in it was mid 80s.

The problem seems to be getting the liner to stay at the bottom of the walls as well as overlapped. As we fill the pool with water it pulls the liner away from the cove and thereby makes the liner slip on the wall...we started with 2 inches overlapped and once we got about 8 inches of water in the pool we had and inch or less of overlap on half the pool and the white circular line around the bottom of the liner had moved away from the wall/cove

[/quote]I would think the method you used should work, you may just have to fill it more. How high was the water when you stopped?

Here is a video I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crylyq92CuM&feature=related Sounds a bit like your method you tried.

[/quote]

Hi,

I watched that video and that is how we were doing it...but I see on the pool in the video they have alot of overlap, we don't have anywhere near that...2 inches is what we had

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.