Newbie, based in Italy, with green algae problem

Use PoolMath to tell you how much CYA the Dichlor will add, that is easier than trying to measure the incremental changes. You do this on the bottom in the effects of adding chemicals section.

Use PoolMath to tell you how much CYA the Dichlor will add, that is easier than trying to measure the incremental changes. You do this on the bottom in the effects of adding chemicals section.
Thanks for getting back to me. I did that - it said 10kg would raise CYA 11 - so as I was down to 30 and we get loads of sun all day, I reckoned that would be ok. Is there any point in retesting CYA before next weekend, or should I just assume it is in there until then? And with the amount of sun we do get should I be shooting for more like 50ppm?

Sorry I misread and thought you said it raised the FC that much. You likely should not have added it all at once as it likely raised the FC higher than you needed and lowered the pH.

I would not test right away, just assume it is around 40 for now. If yoy want to raise more, then do it in increments as needed to maintain FC.

Test results one hour after I did it:

FC 7
CC 0
pH 7.2
TA 90 (yesterday)
CYA didn't test, thought it would be way too early.

Don't do CH test all that often as we have mega hard water here, and from previous discussions last year I think we agreed I would just have to live with it. Was 450 on 30th March.

OK, so I thought I had given it plenty of time to mix before testing, obviously not.

Todays readings: (only chlorine and pH)
FC 10.5
CC 0.5
pH 7.2

nothing added today. I have been deliberately keep lowering the pH as I had very high TA (125+), so have been adding acid and aerating as best I could to bring it down.

Brilliant! Chlorine levels now holding, tested 5.5 today, with nothing added since the last posting. Haven't checked the CYA yet, was going to leave that until the weekend to make sure the reading is accurate. Having finally got the TA down to 90 the pH is holding much better too, so should need to use a lot less Muriatic Acid this year:p. Thank you TFP, after 2 years of following your advice I think I have finally nailed it.

Just so you know, the CYA from Dichlor should register as soon as it is mixed since it is fast dissolving. It's pure CYA that is slower to dissolve though if you use the sock method it will usually register within a day. The week warning is mostly if you add CYA to your skimmer to get caught in the filter because it can take quite a while to dissolve there. In my pool when I add pure CYA in a T-shirt in the skimmer, most of it registers by the next day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
"The pool is the best in any holiday accommodation we have ever rented and is on a par or better than many hotel pools."

Thank you to all at TFP for helping us to attain this review of our holiday property.

Will post up to date photos of the pool later.

well done, similiar story here, I'm now besieged by friends and neighbours wanting to swim in our pool, all thanks to finding this forum.
One question, I currently pay 40 euro here in Sabina for 25l drumsof 14/15% chlorine, much easier to handle than hundreds of ACE bottles, how much are you currently paying for CL?
cheers

well done, similiar story here, I'm now besieged by friends and neighbours wanting to swim in our pool, all thanks to finding this forum.
One question, I currently pay 40 euro here in Sabina for 25l drumsof 14/15% chlorine, much easier to handle than hundreds of ACE bottles, how much are you currently paying for CL?
cheers
We found a local industrial supplier for the liquid chlorine, and are paying €15 for 25l drums - again 14%. We take 8 containers at a time to him, and he refills them. I think originally he charged us €3 each for the containers.

Almost 3 times as much does seem a bit steep. Mind you we were originally being charged €75 for 10kg of dichlor (before we saw the light). When we found our current supplier he charged us €25 for the dichlor, before we changed to liquid. Had to buy some dichlor from him a couple of weeks ago as our CYA had dropped to 40 and I wanted to up it to 50ppm. His current price is €27. Would only buy dichlor now to up CYA when it drops after several back washes.

Is that the Sabina near Naples? Our supplier is in Brindisi, which I think is probably a bit far for you to travel. He gets his chlorine from an outfit in Bari, which is still a long way from you. I would try to find an industrial supplier if I were you.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

We are proud for you :goodjob:
Thank you. Couldn't have done it in the first place without finding you all. Have now persuaded another 2 locals to change to BBB. One asks me to keep an eye on their pool when they are away because "you are the only one I trust to do it".

Olive Grove,thanks for replying,our Sabina is the one with the hills north of Rome, famous for over-exuberant entertainment of beautiful women in ancient times...
I thought my 14% Cl was a bit expensive but the only other source I could find locally packed it in translucent containers left out in the sun, and not much cheaper. I'll keep looking, at least my current source is very close by and it's fresh and well packed. The retailer is a building supplies/pool place that has his chemicals own branded, so I might try and find his supplier. Interestingly they look after a lot of pools locally and the 14 % Cl is really only used by their own guys, they push dichlor and trichlor to retail punters, they think i'm a weird, foreign 'pool guy' with several customers!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.