Haward H200 Heat Exchanger: Repair-Replace-or buy new heater

mlyle11

Bronze Supporter
Sep 3, 2011
Central Illinois
Hello all! What a crazy season start here in Central IL. 86 degree March had everyone fooled! I'm still waiting a few weeks, but plan to be going by 3rd, 4th week in April. Here is my dilemma.
Last year at season end my H200 heat exchanger developed a pinhole leak in the exchanger where one of the copper tubes makes u-turn out of the exchanger and goes back in. I removed the exchanger, soldered the pin hole, and it lasted me through the season end. It started leaking again just before close, a drip, not stream this time, but from the same area. I suspect a poor job of soldering with me and the old maap torch. However, I also suspect the exchanger may be on its way out because its 10 years old, and I let my alkalinity get out of hand last year a bit. I have also largely fed pucks from the skimmer, and know this can be hard on the exchanger. I will use a feeder this year or go back to bleach.

My questions are:
1) I can remove the exchanger and take it to a local radiator shop, that also does a lot of industrial repair (I use them at my assembly plant to repair the heat exchanger in our air compressors - they look about the same as my Hayward except 3X the size). I know they can pressurize the exchanger, clean it better than me, and do a heck of lot better job in the repair/solder. This will run me $100 or so. I worry that this is a Band-Aid, because I fear there are other pinholes waiting to appear. But at a $100, it might be worth the shot and the hour or so of labor.
2) Replace the heat exchanger. This runs about $600 - $700, and I have seen them as low as $550. I know this will work great, but then I wonder... what next... gas valve (300)? Burners (50 each, manifold for 100)? It seems every year I am doing more and more trouble shooting. Replacing switches, control, and sensors.
3) New heater. Is 10 years the right time? I can pick up a direct replacement for $1400-$1600, drop in and be "trouble free" for some time to come.

Thanks for reading through my ramblings! I appreciate any sage wisdom that cab be provided!

Mike

Re: Haward H200 Heat Exchanger: Repair-Replace-or buy new he

There is no single clear answer. Once you have a heat exchanger leak, you are very likely to have more leaks in other places soon. However, it is quite possible that you could get another year out of it for $100 using your first plan. Personally, I would go with plan 3, but that is just me. I suppose it really comes down to a question of how you value your time fiddling with the heater compared to the cost of getting a new one.

Fair assessment! I think it's number 3 for me, and time to bite the bullet on SWG as well. Thanks for the feedback, I will watch the forum for a few more days then place my order.

I'll also start a search on threads regarding SWG, but anyone who happens to read and wishes to offer ideas, please do.

Thanks to Jason and other readers!

I installed a new direct replacement H200. $1500 deliviered. I tore apart the old one to salavage any parts, and I'm very glad now that I bought new. After 10 years, many other parts were starting to deteriorate. If I had replaced the heater core, I would have been asking for more trouble to follow. Thanks all!

I installed a new direct replacement H200. $1500 deliviered. I tore apart the old one to salavage any parts, and I'm very glad now that I bought new. After 10 years, many other parts were starting to deteriorate. If I had replaced the heater core, I would have been asking for more trouble to follow. Thanks all!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.