LifeTime Supporter
Feb 26, 2012
Lancaster, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I've been reading TFP for a few weeks and just received my TF100 text kit, so I can be as prepared as possible for our first pool. I still have a few questions as to start up, but figured we'll learn as we go along. Being on a corner lot, we don't have a lot of room in the "back yard", which is actually more like a side yard. So far my only regret is that we should have done this years ago! We put in a new fence and very large shed last year thinking that we will never have a pool so didn't need to worry about it. Lo and behold, we decided to attempt to get a permit and it was approved, so unfortunately we have to rip out a portion of the fence because it is not pool code. Luckily the rear privacy fence meets code, so we can leave it as is.

Some of our specs:
16 x 32 vinyl inground, Lagoon
8' curved walk in steps
2 person buddy seat w/ jets
Shallow pool 3' to 5' depth
3' concrete perimeter (we'll do pavers around it afterwards)
2 skimmers, 2 returns, dual main drains
1 IntelliBrite 5g LED multicolor light
Solar cover, Mesh safety cover
Autopilot SWG
Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 320 cartridge filter
Pentair IntelliFlo VS + SVRS pump
Vacuum Equip, Maintenance Kit

We are on a bit of a slope, so we will need to do some creative final grading when all is said and done. So far I have been pleased with our PB and the crew. A bit of a surprise, we hit tons of rock during the initial excavation - not too surprising since we are about a mile from a large quarry. Still, it ended up being a few extra bucks and set us back a day to clear out all of the rock and then stabilize the ground with two tri-axle truckloads of stone. I am pleased with the attention the excavator gave this, and the fact that the PB, construction foreman and excavator all gave it serious thought as to the correct way to continue.

Posting a few pics of the "before" and will update with construction pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1728.jpg
    IMG_1728.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,305
  • IMG_1784.jpg
    IMG_1784.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,307
  • IMG_1885.jpg
    IMG_1885.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,307
Re: 16 x 32 Vinyl Installation, excavation pics

Am hoping that I am getting the hang of attaching photos. It seems they are posting in reverse order!

[attachment=0:2f77tjzu]IMG_1904.jpg[/attachment:2f77tjzu][attachment=1:2f77tjzu]IMG_1902.jpg[/attachment:2f77tjzu][attachment=2:2f77tjzu]IMG_1901.jpg[/attachment:2f77tjzu]

Attachments

• IMG_1901.jpg
    IMG_1901.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,299
  • IMG_1902.jpg
    IMG_1902.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,301
  • IMG_1904.jpg
    IMG_1904.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,300
[attachment=0:2hply2vh]IMG_1906.jpg[/attachment:2hply2vh][attachment=1:2hply2vh]IMG_1911.jpg[/attachment:2hply2vh][attachment=2:2hply2vh]IMG_1910.jpg[/attachment:2hply2vh]

Attachments

• IMG_1910.jpg
    IMG_1910.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,293
  • IMG_1911.jpg
    IMG_1911.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,293
  • IMG_1906.jpg
    IMG_1906.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,296
[attachment=0:1tplr38j]photo 2.JPG[/attachment:1tplr38j][attachment=1:1tplr38j]photo 3.JPG[/attachment:1tplr38j][attachment=2:1tplr38j]photo 4.JPG[/attachment:1tplr38j]

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 1,313
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 1,312
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 1,312
swimcmp said:
Scrap the mesh cover and go with a solid cover. You will have better luck with it

I thought with a solid cover I would need to have a pump on it to remove any water collecting? I wanted to avoid this because I have two small dogs and I wanted to avoid having an electrical line and hoses running across the yard.

Yes with a solid cover you will need the cover pump. But when you open the pool in the spring the water will be as clear as when you closed it in the fall. With the mesh unless you are going to open really, really early in the spring it will be a swamp.

carlscan26 said:
Try to get a few more returns too unless the seats and steps have some built in?

Thanks for your input, but I think it's too late as they backfilled yesterday while I was at work. I noticed you have the same size pool. What would the benefit have been for having extra returns? Are two not enough for a 16x32 3'-5' deep pool?

swimcmp said:
Yes with a solid cover you will need the cover pump. But when you open the pool in the spring the water will be as clear as when you closed it in the fall. With the mesh unless you are going to open really, really early in the spring it will be a swamp.

I have to admit this is one of those decisions that I grappled with early on. I am finding at least one thing a day to stress over! :? I realized that my peace of mind over the safety of the dogs not messing with the cover pump outweighed my desire for an easy opening in the spring. (they've never quite mastered the "leave it" command!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Stilly said:
carlscan26 said:
Try to get a few more returns too unless the seats and steps have some built in?

Thanks for your input, but I think it's too late as they backfilled yesterday while I was at work. I noticed you have the same size pool. What would the benefit have been for having extra returns? Are two not enough for a 16x32 3'-5' deep pool?

Volume wise two returns are fine but more in the right places. More make it easier to make sure the water flows and distributes evenly. I have three and an able to get a good clockwise flow going.

Don't stress about it. I'm sure you'll be fine. Pretend I never even suggested it.

@carlscan26: Woohoo! Glad that is one less thing that I need to stress over.
--------------------
Now I am stressing over the PVC coping track. It seems like shoddy workmanship to me, and I emailed PB about it last night. He came out first thing this morning (called me this a.m. while I was still sleeping!) and took pics to send to the construction foreman. At least he is attentive, I do have to admit that.

There are about 3 or 4 areas (at least) like the one in the photo below, where the coping track ends are not flush. I don't like the looks of it, and most importantly I am worried that water will get in there and cause problems. I asked him if they use clips or some sort of caps on these joints, and they do not. He seemed to agree that it is not done right, so it will be interesting to see what the construction foreman guy says. Do I need to worry about this, other than the looks of it? Concrete is due to be poured on Wednesday.

From the view in the photo, the concrete will be poured on the top half of the photo:

Attachments

• Coping.jpg
    Coping.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 1,122
Bama Rambler said:
There should be no opening there. They should butt right up together. They should have butted the ends up and screwed the backing plate to them and then bent them around the pool.

That is helpful, thank you. I am not going to let them continue with the concrete pour until they fix these areas.

So I learn today that concrete guys are on their way out to lay the forms, and we insisted that no concrete is poured until the coping is looked at. I later learn that coping guys are also on their way over to make some adjustments. They fixed the areas that I was concerned with as best they could, and I am satisfied enough to not lose any more sleep over it. I realize now how difficult it is to butt the ends together seamlessly with the degree of radius I have on the pool. It's not a large pool, so those turns are quite rounder than the PVC can easily bend.

On the plus side, I really like the concrete guys. They were here the other day, but I didn't get to meet them at that time. They laid the forms today and even did some extra grading for me to get rid of some of the excess dirt. We have waaaay too much unusable dirt due to the amount of rocks we hit. I need most of it out of here so that I can get some good topsoil laid down. Otherwise, I have nothing but clay and rocks to work with.

Here are some pics of the concrete forms being put in. Hopefully it won't rain tomorrow and they can pour. Concrete guy and I were comparing weather reports on our phones this afternoon while waiting for the coping guys to show.

Attachments

• concreteforms1.jpg
    concreteforms1.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 1,067
  • concreteforms2.jpg
    concreteforms2.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 1,066
  • concreteforms3.jpg
    concreteforms3.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 1,068

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.