Why do Ants love my timer?

Nov 12, 2009
Tulsa,OK
Every year when I open the pool I find a gang of ants in my pump timer. I leave them alone, they're not hurting me, just wondering what's attracting them into there.
[attachment=0:1bsx7scf]uploadfromtaptalk1333680964393.jpg[/attachment:1bsx7scf]

...and low maintenance!

When I took off the wheel weights on my tractor a few days ago, there was a whole colony of ants in between the weight and the rim! I didn't use the tractor once this year to plow the driveway, so it just sat in the barn, collecting ants I guess.

Yeap, every year around this time the well pump kicks off because some dead ants are in between the contacts. Then I have to go and clean off the contacts. It's much worse because the well pump cycles many times during the day. It's unbearable when it happens have way through a shower.

I've read different theories, eddy currents, heat, ozone, it's a ready made home dark-dry and secure.

Ants do like things that generate current. You should really keep them cleared out of there as much as you can. I know that down here in Texas, ants have caused the death of many a pool pump too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.