SWG - Maintaing Salt levels

Oct 20, 2009
Have a question for all you happy SWG owners out there.

How much salt to you have to add routinely to your pools ( weekly/monthly) to ensure that the levels are within the SWG parameters?

Based on the literature I read, the free CL is converted back to salt, however a friend says he routinely has to add "bags" of salt to his 30k pool.

I plan on using the Circupool-45 on a 30k ig pool is SC.

I do not have mine setup yet, but I do not think you should have to add "bags" very often you only loose it to splash out and backwashing.

If the sell starts going bad it can start to read the salt level as lower and lower, prompting you to add more and more ... you should really do independent tests of the salt level and not trust the SWG.

FYI, one 40-lb bag will raise a 30k pool by 160ppm

Most people only need to add salt once or maybe twice a year. It depends on how much water you lose to splash out and backwashing. At opening I usually need to add three or four bags to replace the salt lost when pumping out water for winterizing. Normally that is all I have to add all year. If you backwash frequently or have truly extreme amounts of rainfall you might need extra salt mid-season. The only remotely common situation where you need to add salt frequently is when you have a leak and are constantly replacing the water lost. It is possible for that to happen without the owner noticing if you have an autofill system.

I have to add a bag about once every couple of months. I did not put an overflow on my pool so it catches the rainwater that we get plenty of, and I drain it back down to proper depth. In the last month I have drained a foot off this pool. 4 separate occasions where it was full to overflowing b/c of rainwater. Twice this past week!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.