Old pool, can you identify this ?skimmer?

Jul 23, 2011
I purchased a house about 4 years ago that had a rather neglected and poorly documented pool. Apparently it baffles the local pool stores and techs as well. Every time I explain that I don't have a normal plastic skimmer they look at me like I have 3 heads. Either that or in my pool ignorance I simply cannot explain what this is. :hammer:

After buying generic circular pool skimmer replacement baskets at the local big box store I figured I would ask the experts and see what type of skimmer 'this is', or what type of skimmer 'this was'. The port pictured here is connected to both the skimmer and the main drain. A diverter (just like this http://www.amazon.com/Antony-Skimmer-Di ... B004UNFWVK) is used to divert flow from the main drain to skimmer only.

Dimensions of the inner cube inside the skimmer hole are approximately 6 1/2"x6 1/4"x8 1/2" deep. The opening to the pool did not originally have a weir, the weir pictured is a spring loaded model cut to fit.

So what is this skimmer? Is this designed to be simply run with a basket in-place? If so, any recommendations on a square basket? Should I try to find a skimmer that closely fits this opening, or is that even possible without significant expense? Vacuuming this pool and keeping the Arizona dust off the bottom is a constant struggle, but short of removing the diverter, I have no control over how much flow goes to the skimmer vs the single main drain and the adapter kit the local pool stores sell doesn't fit the opening to my pool.

I appreciate any help or insight you can offer!

IG pool, ~27,000 gallons. Sand filter, 1.5" plumbing. 2 returns + 1 venturi therapy return. 1 skimmer/main drain. New Intelliflow VS pump and newer Hayward sand filter.

Attachments

• skimmer1.jpg
    skimmer1.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 201
  • skimmer2.jpg
    skimmer2.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 192
  • skimmer3.jpg
    skimmer3.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 192
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.