Is my thermometer lying to me?

Jul 24, 2010
Pt. Arthur, TX
I'm keeping the kids out of the pool because the water feels too cold to me. Ambient temp is in the mid to upper 80s. The pool thermometer says the water is 80 degrees. I even put it in my net, sunk it to the bottom of the pool & held it there for 10 minutes.

When I pulled it up, it said 80 degrees.

But it feels much colder than that when I stick my arm in for a sample.

Am I crazy? I just bought this theremometer today, as the other one was doing the same thing.

Mine was 80 on Sunday....and I'm about 4 hours North of you. Had 3 people in too! Coolish nights and the rain front cooled it this week though, but back to 80 now! Just waiting for the angle of the sun to clear the ridgeline of the house for it to be in full sun all day.

I have three thermometers. The one floating around the pool and the SWG panel have both reached 91 deg. The one in the skimmer has hit 88. I think they're all a little optomistic.

We do a fair amount of snorkeling in Florida springs which are 72 deg. year round. Our three year old bails after a short time at that temp.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.